Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

I'm a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Ok I can't stand this anymore.

I'll take the 3 min. Pop off my center console and take pic in all 6 gear positions and post. Tomorrow

I think I know what the issue is but don't want to guess.

Don't disassemble yet

Old 12-27-2019, 05:44 AM
Default Gear Positions

1st gear position

2nd gear position

3rd gear position

4th gear position

Old 12-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

From those pictures the lower cable on the near side is the problem. The wear pattern in first and second should be not showing on the cable. Maybe the cable housing is coming apart or has slid in the clamp. Also the spring should be touching the white plastic boss to assist centering the shift lever in the neutral gate. At rest the lever should be centered side to side so no side pressure should be in the 3/4 gate. There should be spring pressure required side to side for 1/2 and 5/r.
Andy

Old 12-28-2019, 07:57 AM

Andy, thanks for the input. Please expand on the "white plastic boss".

Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

The spring on the near side with the black covering on the one top arm. Should touch the white plastic boss on the side of the shifter assembly when in the 1/2 shift gate providing tension to help the return to center. Disconnect the cable that moves when you move the lever side to side and see if full movement occurs. It looks like the cable attached to lever with the spring needs to be adjusted.
Do you understand how this type of shifter works? One cable pulls and pushes in and out and the other converts side to side to in and out. This translates to the transmission as one that moves in and out and the other rotates a shaft so that the in and out move the correct gears. Almost all remote shifters work the same way in every make of car.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:20 PM

Yes sir! Full side to side motion once that cable was removed from the arm. How does one go about adjusting this or is it a matter of replacing the entire cable?

Last edited by Palefty; 12-28-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I would try pushing and pulling on the disconnected cable and see if the problem is the cable itself or inside the transmission. The next step for me would be to disconnect the other end to test the cable and then to manually shift the transmission. See how stiff the cable is with both ends disconnected. Most cables have a steel braided cable sliding inside a teflon tube inside of the steel and rubber cover. The braided steel can fray over time and tear up the teflon limiting the travel. This would require a replacement cable if this is the problem. If the cable freely moves full stroke in its cover the problem may be adjustment or a mechanical problem inside of the transmission.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that dorman used to make (may still make) Replacement cable sets for the 5 spd s cars..
Word on the street was that they were too long and would bind.
I'm at 265K on a 97 SC2 and have not had the pleasure of replacing those cables.

People said junkyard cables with lower miles were better than brand new Dorman cables.

Go down to Junkyard row by the airport and see what's what.
Actually, make sure it still exists. haven't been there in 30 years but back in the days before computers you had to walk 6 or 7 blocks, both sides of the street -- nothing but junkyards,,,,,,

Where are you around Philly?-- I grew up around there

Old 12-28-2019, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Suburban Chevrolet in Sandy Oregon has a set of shift cables for your car for sale on E-Bay. They seem expensive but otherwise might be unobtainium.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:38 AM

Derf, I'm north of Philly in the Lansdale area. Yes, I've heard about the Dorman cable problem. RockAuto is my "go to" place and they do have them. Thanks.

Quick Reply: I'm a Newbie