Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Ignition lock cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 PM
SC2
Default Ignition lock cylinder replacement

First let me say, I've searched the forum for this problem and many things came up but they are somewhat vague and most if not all were not for a 1994 SC2. I can see from the search that this is a common problem on Saturns. First the automatic seatbelt goes out (see other posts) and now this. I know the car is old but I'm not too impressed with this car. Seatbelts and ignitions switches are major and important components that should NOT be going bad on a lightly used car driven by an older woman. (my grandmother)

Is anyone able to give me a write up on how to change the Ignition lock cylinder on a 94 SC2? I'm NOT talking about the switch, I'm talking about the cylinder where you put the key in. I have a new one already coded with the key but I have to install it. If this is a huge job I may just refer it to the mechanic. Ours was sticking really bad so hopefully this will fix it.

Sorry for my rant above. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Banned

OK, rant finished, now read ..........

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery.

2. Remove the steering wheel if it interferes with access to the steering column covers on your vehicle.

3. Remove the knee bolster and the steering column cover screws.

4. Separate the steering column covers and pull the upper cover up for access to the lock cylinder release tab.

5. With the key in the ACC position, push in on the release tab with a screwdriver and pull the cylinder straight out of the housing.

6. Installation of the new lock cylinder is the reverse of the removal process.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
SC2

Thanks much!

I will report back. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the steering wheel since it has an airbag but if I have to I may be back with more questions.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 PM
SC2
Default Mission accomplished

Ok, I followed your directions with success. There are 5 screws to remove to get the collar off that surrounds the headlamp, wiper and ignition switch. I found that the hardest part was removing the two that hold the upper part of the collar on. What a pain. They are 7/32 size and you need an extension but the problem is the hole is too small to even accomodate the socket without a little force. Basically what I'm saying is the access hole is about the same size or a bit smaller than the 7/32 screw size. Perhaps a manufacturing defect? Poor design? The new cylinder comes with a new black plastic bezel that says "push to lock-acc-on-start" which is nice since the original was wore out. Thanks again for the help.

I have one more small problem I'm motivated to tackle on this car that I'll save for a later time. They say it comes in 3's.....

Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

Congratulations on your repairs. If you need consuling again, remember, help is just a website away ..............

Old 03-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

oh joy

my key is getting caught up when I go to remove it in my 95 -- I think the spring mechanism thingy in there is becoming discombobulatated

i guess if he did it I can do it in the garage now that it is getting nicer

I haven't looked but is SC2 saying they are 7/32 bolts or screws? + I have found pretty much everything else fastener wise on this car to be metric or torx so the 7/32 bbbaffles me

Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
SC2

Originally Posted by derf
oh joy

my key is getting caught up when I go to remove it in my 95 -- I think the spring mechanism thingy in there is becoming discombobulatated

i guess if he did it I can do it in the garage now that it is getting nicer

I haven't looked but is SC2 saying they are 7/32 bolts or screws? + I have found pretty much everything else fastener wise on this car to be metric or torx so the 7/32 bbbaffles me
Your post showed up in my email notification. So hopefully I can help.

What I meant was it's a 7/32 size socket for the bolt head. It's not a screw. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:28 PM
Default 2002 SL ignition cylinder replacement.

1i have a 2002 Saturn SL and the ignition key gets stuck in the off position. The car has a lot of miles on it and I believe the key is worn out, it looks more flat than jagged. I was going to replace the cylinder with one with a new key. I am getting conflicting information from the internet that the key does not have a chip, then there are other ones that state that it has a chip. So I pulled out the manual an it says that my car is equipped with pass lock. So I guess there is a chip in the key. Is it possible to remove the lock cylinder and remove the pins from the lock cylinder and basically not having a lock without setting off the security system that I didn’t even know I had. I really don’t want to spend $200+ on a transponder key. Or is there a way to override the securiy system in a good running 180000 mile car
kevin

Old 07-31-2022, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

3rd gen s cars like yours have passlock II.

There is a resistor embedded in the key blank. The end of the key must rest in a certain position inside the cylinder to be sensed by a sensor and checked for the proper resistance.

If this check is not successful, the body control module never gets the okay from the ignition switch sensor to tell the PCM it is okay to uninhibit the fuel injectors and therefore let the engine run.

I'm honestly not sure if a blank cylinder would work because the key would be moving around.

Bite the bullet and go to a Chevy dealer with title in hand and ask them to cut a new key from the vin.

They will have to order the blank but it just has a resistor in it, not a chip.

​​​​​​I just gave away a 97 SC2 with 265,000 mi on the original ignition cylinder. On my third and fourth keys but works just fine. Actually get two keys cut so you only have to pay once for the code retrieval fee

Old 07-31-2022, 10:58 PM

Derf

i anticipated your answer. The car is actually my sons car and I told him to leave the key in the accessory mode with the radio off. Otherwise if it is shut off completely you have to giggle the key a lot to get it to turn over. I am hoping it is just a key. What are your thoughts

kevin

Quick Reply: Ignition lock cylinder replacement