Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Front Seat Rocking, 97SC2 (Driver's)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Default Front Seat Rocking, 97SC2 (Driver's)

Ok, so this started about 150K ago, but it is truly to the point of annoyance that I want to remedy the situation.

While sitting in the driver's seat, I can rock it forward or backward quite a bit. This is not surprising, as after 255k of "falling" into the driver's seat with a lean towards the back, it has taken its toll on either the tracks themselves (mounted to the floor) or the upside down T piece on the bottom of the seat that rides in the track.

I know I should be able to figure this out by looking at my passenger seat, but it has some rock in it, so I have no true reference.

My questions are

1) has the top of the track been bent upwards such that there is now a gap between the top of the track and the upside down T piece that rides in the track?
2) have the upside down T pieces on the bottom of the seat been deformed in the opposite direction (bent down) from being slammed against top of track, creating a gap?
3) have the upside down T pieces literally been worn down? This to me is a long shot as I pretty much never adjust the seat

I have checked that nothing else in the seat assembly is loose, and the rocking produces a visual separation of the upside down T piece and the top of the track.

4) If it is 1 or 2, can I fix it with a minisledge, or should I go find both pieces ?? since I don't know which one it is

I would rather keep my driver's seat than do a transplant; I would re-stuff it while it was out.

My other question is -- unless I find NOS, how do I know the ones I find from that era aren't as bad or worse than mine?

Thanks

Derf

Old 01-04-2017, 06:44 AM

About all I can suggest is going to a pick and pull yard and sitting in a few others for comparison, derf. That way you may find a good reference point. If you find a couple of good seats, you could always swap the covers and install extra "stuffing" before making the swap. Keep in mind that the inside bolt (next to the console) in the front is usually a pain in the *** to get out. At least it has been on the 3 that I replaced. And for some reason it's just the drivers seat and not the passenger side. Perhaps because it gets a LOT more wear and use?