Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

and all of a sudden, it won't even push start

Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Default and all of a sudden, it won't even push start

I was stuck. I had parked downhill on a snowy day. I was rocking the car back and forth, from reverse to first, working my way out of the snowbank, when I stalled out.
My car hasn't started since. It can't be jumped. In fact, the cable off the battery connectors spark. I had a friend tow it out. Once out of the snow, I tried popping the clutch while in tow and down a hill. Some of the ignition fuses are discolored, but they're all still whole. We tried disconnecting and hardwiring around the clutch switch. The electrical system turns on with the key, and the fuel pump cycles.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Any ideas?
It's a 2002 SC2. I saw a lot of different threads on the subject, but didn't find the one that specifically seemed to apply.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

Well, I'm not in the area of snow (normally) so I'm thinking that somehow, you've lost a connection to the PCM. First, check all discolored fuses with a meter, fuses can look good but still be bad. Second, jack the front of the car, and look to see if you have pulled loose any wiring in your attempt to get out of the snowbank. Third, pull a plug wire, to see if you are getting spark to the engine. Let us know what you find, so we can proceed with other suggestions ....

Old 02-27-2010, 06:20 PM

Sorry to drop a question and split for a week. I haven't had a sunny day off which makes it tougher to look at the engine. The engine is definitely not getting any spark. It doesn't turn over or even click with the key. I'll run a meter through the fusebox and check underneath for loose wiring tomorrow assuming it stays clear. Is there any particular wiring I should be looking for? Are there any other relays besides the boxes in the passenger side and under the hood?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Banned

Well, in the case of the 2002 -- power to spin the starter arrives via the large red cable, running from the battery to the large bolt/connection on the starter solenoid/motor. Sometimes, acid from the battery wicks under the insulation, and rots out the cable. Since it happens under the insulation, you can't see it. Replace the red primary battery cable first.

Next thing to check, is the IGN3 fuse. It may look OK, but still be bad. Use a meter to test it, and replace if necessary. This supplies control voltage to your starter motor when the key is turned.

If this doesn't fix the problem, get a voltmeter with alligator clips. Hook the positive side of the meter to the purple wire coming to the starter solenoid/motor. hook the negative side of the meter to a metallic ground point. When you turn your key to the START position, the meter should read 12 volts. If it does, your starter has failed, and needs to be replaced. If you still have no voltage, then there is a broken/missing/damaged wire between the key lock on the steering column, and where you bypassed the clutch start interlock switch