Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

’93 SC2 idle problem. common?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:19 PM

Hey. Firts thing, I replaced the temp sensor with a GM dealer part and it did help it out ALOT. In fact i thought it fixed the problem completly, which is why i didnt post anything yesterday saying the problem is solved. I wanted a day of driving to make sure if everything was ok.

So, now instead of the idle being too high, it sometimes idles too low. Otherwise it runs at a normal speed.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] Now, it will rarely run high, between 1300-1600 rpm's in N, mostly run normal 900-1100 rpm's in N, and sometimes a bit lower than 900.

Driving light to light normally it seems to be ok. If i need to floor it or put a load on the enging to pass or whatever, as soon as i come to a stop, 8 out of ten times she stalls out.?

At night with the ligts on, A/C running or not, the idle drops even more and stalls out more often. In other words the more accessories i have running it puts more of a loadon the idle and the IAC ( idle air control valve) is not compensating for this. That Temp sensor did in fact help out and i do think my old one was badd anyway. I did'nt change the pig tail (connector) because mine looked to be in great shape and i tested thevolts from the lineseveral times and every time i got the same reading so im assuming this connector is working properly and i couldnt see replacing it. That STUPID little connector costs about 35 bones!? WHAT A RIP OFF. I dont mindspending the $$it but if i dont need to then im not. So im gonna return the part.

So, now im going to go out side and do a few more things or test to see about that IAC. OH YEA, also, the trouble code 35 came back again last night. Which is a code for IAC, so thats whay im going to go and see what kind of voltage is going to it.

Any Other ideas what this might be? Any other steps i might need to take after replacing that sensor? Ill post back in a bit.

THANKS, ~Vinny

Old 06-11-2006, 11:56 PM

Ok heres the latest update. I re-adjusted the Idle speed and the car ran perfect. Just like yesterday though, It fooled me. During the test drive everything was perfect.I stopped off for a coffee, shut the car off and when i came out about 5 mins later and started it i had no problems at all and the idle was still right where itshould be.

When I got home and let the car rest a bit it did the same crap as it always does.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]It idlesfrom high to low but now its more on the hight side most of the time.

Before I went on the test drive i tested the volts to the TPS and the IAC. These were the readings.

TPS- closed=0.33 and Opened=4.44

IAC-10.5 10.7 10.9

MyIAC gave me diffrent readings every other time i checked it. The book calls for the readings to fluctuate between 1.5 and 10.5volts. So i still have a problem with the signal comming from the PCM, right?

For the TPS, the book calls for below 1.25 closed and approximately 5 volts. So i should be good here, right ?

Am I missing something here? Im not sure what else to do or look for. Im at the point where I think I need to change the PCM but I dont want to spend ALL that money on a new PCM if the PCM is not the problem.

Thanks so far, Vinny

Old 06-14-2006, 09:00 PM

Ok, heres the latest. I replaced the IAC with another new one and now the idle is worse.

Ive come to the conclution the the PCM is bad so im just gonna replace it. Where can i get one cheap?

~Vinny