Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

1998 Saturn SC2

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 AM
Banned
Default 1998 Saturn SC2

I have a 98 SC2. I love the car, because it has far more power than people expect and a decent top speed. What I am curious about is what the towing capacity might be. I want to tow a small trailer that can carry my lawnmower and maybe a few other items. Maybe a snow blower for this time of year, I can earn some extra cash.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sure if you Google something akin to 1998 Sc2 towing, you'll either bring up reviews from when it came out (w all the specs) or answers in forums where others have asked the same ? .

Please post if you do find it.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:34 AM
Banned

I actually tried that already. It was of no help.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:48 AM

I cant imagine it would be more than 1500 - 2000# with a max tounge weight of 200-400#. If you dont have the receiver yet it should tell you right on the sticker. Im surprised the owners manual does not say. Give me a few I can dig out my old owners manual

edit: According to the owners manual (page 209) total trailer weight (trailer and load) should not weigh more than 1000#. depending on the hitch your using, tounge weight should be 10% of trailers loaded weight (for a weight carrying hitch) or 12% on a load distributing hitch. if your towing a simple mower (like a push mower) with a relatively small trailer you should be fine. a rider mower can be done, but knowing how to load your trailer is key. a snow blower would fall in between a basic mower and a rider.

First thing you will need to know is your trailers weight unloaded and what weight the trailer is rated to carry. Because your using a car, my tip to you is to ALWAYS have whatever your towing positioned directly ontop of the trailer axle, so the trailer is holding the weight and the car is pulling it. This will also help control trailer bounce and sway. if your load is positioned too far up, the car will bottom out everywhere, too far back, and you have a risk of upsetting the rear of the car on hard bounces (especially in inclement weather).
If your trailer is only pulling one thing (such as a mower or snowblower, always center your load to the trailer axle. If you have multiple items on the trailer, you want the heaviest in the middle directly over the axle and your lightest items front or rear. If they are small enough to put in the car, I would suggest it.
Also remember that if you have a fully loaded car (IE 4 to 5 passengers) you will have to reduce your trailer weight or take it easy. Be prepared to bottom out the struts.
Also, are your rear struts and springs in good condition? this will also determine how well you tow and how stable it will be over bumps.

Last edited by Octavious; 12-29-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Banned

Thank you. If it helps, it is the 2 door model, not the 3. I live in NJ and people here have no respect at all, so I like the fast reaction. I had a someone with a Mercedes with dual exhaust think they were going to fly by me as if I was standing still. They were wrong. It did not take long to match their 85mph and then the rpms dropped to 3k and I really took off. Gotta have a car with ***** to get around NJ. lol

Old 12-29-2015, 11:33 AM

I just edited my post so check above. I too live in NJ so I understand the struggles. I was very good at ripping around the parkway with it, they are excellent little cars and people underestimate them greatly. After my rebuild I used to throw it into 4th on the highway and let it run out, and it can keep up with most cars. These things being very light helps greatly. Although 115 down the parkway for 5 miles is just at the threshold of terrifying (atleast in the saturn). things get shakey at any speeds higher, even though it wont let you past 120.
towing is annoying sometimes, but having a hopped up diesel helps. People are more scared of smoke than you think hahaha. What area of NJ are you in? Im in monmouth county .

And just remember, most of those tips are not only for towing with cars, I follow them as rules of life even when I throw 10k# on a trailer.

Trust me, its even more fun whooping people with a 15 y/o truck, on the parkway, 18, or any other roads around here.

Last edited by Octavious; 12-29-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Google search phrase: saturn sc2 towing capacity

98 sc2 towing capacity Post #5
Towing Capacity - SaturnFans.com Forums Post #1
S-series towing limit and mpg? - SaturnFans.com Forums Post #11

and my favorite

2002 Saturn SC2 Specifications and Standard Equipment at carmax.com

Must not have searched.............too hard.
One search phrase. 4 results.

I have no problem helping people who need information.

I do have a problem when people claim they did something that it appears they did not.....