PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free!! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1994 Saturn SW1 needs good home

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Default Ironic!

That really is ironic! If I drive my Saturn to NSB, FL, I will let you know in case you want to meet it, but at this point I have no plans. Stay in touch!!

Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 AM

Will do. I'm on this forum every day. I have no life! LOL

Old 07-13-2019, 08:31 AM
Default I love this forum!

Haha! I am on it almost daily too! I wish I had found this forum earlier. It is SO refreshing to hear positive remarks about Saturns (including mine) instead of disparaging remarks! It's so nice to be among other Saturn lovers....I no longer feel like I'm the only one!

Old 07-20-2019, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

NEVER waxed? Cmmonn now.... ??? Never parked in the sun?

Old 07-20-2019, 07:21 AM
Default True!

Honest! Never been waxed! I am amazed too! Whatever they put on the original coat was amazing. Perhaps it was for Saturns for just that year (1994) or something, but it never dulled. I was so busy through the years raising kids and animals and such, that it never dawned on me how nice it still looked after all these years with only a wash when needed.

For the first 13 years, it had a carport, but I worked during the day, so it did sit out in the open sun most week days in the hot NC sun. For the last 13 years, it has had a garage in my new home, and I am retired, so it seldom sits in the sun for long, but those first 13 years should have been pretty rough on the finish a good deal of the time. But it withstood it beautifully!

I really have not even thought about that much until you brought it up. I wonder if anyone else has experienced such a lifelong exterior durability with no waxing?

And I thought I could not love my Saturn any more than I do....but this has given me yet another reason!

I will soon be getting a new car, which, sadly, will take over Saturns garage, so Saturn will be sitting outside again. I hope his durability continues!

Old 07-20-2019, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

You solved the mystery with your own post. Only washed as needed. People wash their cars way too often with respect to erosion of the clear coat finish. Touchless car washes blast at it if there is no wax. Washing it at home leads to you physically wearing some of the clear coat off. 13 years in the garage does wonders. 13 years less of ultraviolet rays, tropical storms, hail, hurricanes, little Jimmy down the street with his BB gun, etc.

Anything you take care of will take care of you. Unless it's a Chevy cavalier from the 90s or a 1980s Ford product

Old 07-21-2019, 07:35 AM

Or a late 80's to mid 90's Mopar. Terrible clear coat problems! Don't ask how I know.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Default Interesting!!

Since this was first mentioned, I have been thinking about it a lot! I think you are right about my washing it only as needed, and parking it in a garage for half its life might be a reason for it's nice looking exterior.

I have always been, and still am, fanatically religious about keeping it on schedule for mechanical maintenance, but not so much about the exterior. I often considered it being in a rainstorm a fairly good wash. Haha. And because it never lost its shine, I saw no reason to wax it.

As a side note, my daughter has a 10 yr old Toyota Camry and has never waxed it and seldom washes it. Yet, the exterior looks new! Hmmmm..

Anyway, thanks for all the nice comments and plenty of food for thought!

Now I am thinking of renting a garage space for it after I buy my new car, so both cars will have their own protected rooms!

Old 09-21-2019, 08:00 AM

Hey, VFowler, do you still have the wagon for sale? Is so, are you coming to visit your son in New Smyrna Beach anytime soon? It's only about 150 miles from where I live. I'll have the money by the end of October and would still LOVE to have that car. I promise I'll take good care of it. Just let me know. If you're not coming to Florida, maybe I can get a buddy to go to NC with me and pick it up.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 09-21-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Default Wonderful!

Hey! Yes,my baby Saturn is still looking for a good home, and I know that you would take good care of it!

I have not yet made plans to visit my son in New Smyrna Beach, but that is certainly a possibility! I can start working on that, or you are also welcome to come to NC anytime.

I'm sure we can work it out some way! Thank you! My email address is vfowler@live.unc.edu Feel free to contact me there as we make more detailed plans. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: 1994 Saturn SW1 needs good home