Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

You know...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Default You know...

These new members posts about the S cars has got me thinking... We had a car, thirteen years ago that got no less than 36mpg highway (on the revised modern standards, no less), and up to 40mpg highway... It was safe, and more reliable than the crap being put out today, and it has outlasted nearly all of it's similarly aged kin...

So, i ask to all Saturn enthusiasts that read here (and go to my drawing pad) - What if there had been a TRUE second generation S series? If GM had allowed funding to improve on the good existing engine design with tech such as variable valve timing, direct injection, and the like? If engineers had a chance to truly improve on/evolve the existing design, instead of just using a GM corporate platform?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

If hey had truly evolved in the mid 90's (94 -95), I think it would've had the potential to sell like an entry level civic at the time, and then, through further refinements, would have (via class-creep) snuck into the Accord/Camry class.

Ever notice how there's an "all new" Accord every three years?

It's called evolution AND marketing.

GM did neither, let the bean counters call the shots, and now it's dead.

Parting thought: (performance versions stock from the factory)
2.4L 4 cyl M90 supercharged from the factory, weighing 3000 lbs tops
3.5L V6 ......maybe supercharged 3200 lbs

HP, Trq.....oh well.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 PM

I think that they would have kept the S series small and then made an L series later to compete with Accord/ Camry... Actually, I envisioned them keeping the engine at 1.9 liters and developing a 5 cylinder from that to be used in the bigger car...

When my sketches are finished, I will add them...

Old 07-03-2015, 11:10 PM
Default My Vision: part une

Like I said earlier, Saturn had a good car, with a reasonably good engine... Why not improve from there...

- revisions to the block and head, optimizing rod/stroke ratio for better torque curve and better breathing, and to fix the oil consumption issues plaguing past iterations of the engine...
-addition of variable valve timing (with lift control)as well as higher lift cams to increase power/torque across the powerband...
-addition of direct injection, to enable higher compression ratios, with the retention of port injection to act against the carbon buildup in the intake tract...

Base model cars will be twin cam, and the performance model will be turbocharged...

Base model output should land around 160hp, with the turbo version used in the S series coming in around 200-220hp... The turbo engine would likely be shared with the bigger sibling, the L series to offset help offset R&D costs...

S series cars would adopt use of the continuously variable automatic transmission on base models, with a six speed manual a no-cost option on lower models, and the performance model will be manual only...

Provided the S series doesn't gain tremendous amounts of weight from necessary airbag proliferation and other safety mandates(target at ~ 1150kg or ~ 2500lb), it would have a favorable power/weight ratio among its competitors, and should still get good(if not better than before) fuel mileage...

Old 07-03-2015, 11:20 PM

Preview to part deux-

My initial sketch has a true new-gen S series available in one body-style(3 door coupe) with height coming in at around 54 inches, length at about 162 inches, and width at around 68 inches, all riding on tires with a rolling diameter of 24 inches, and a wheelbase of 96 inches...

Those measurements though, could be subject to change...

A check of popular makes and models tells me that a Saturn S series, like I sketched, would land squarely in B segment territory, and would likely compete with the likes of Ford Fiesta, Chevy Sonic, etc, but would offer considerably more power than any other competitor in segment, other than Fiesta ST(which a theoretical Saturn S3 would beat with its turbocharged engine)

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 07-04-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

careful what you divulge; once it's on the forum it's public domain and you can NEVER patent it.

Seriously. If you're designing a car, don't show me on a forum. You sound serious enough about for me to throw out the warning above

Old 07-04-2015, 03:46 AM

you and your turbos.
I say stock twincharge.
Or at least stock twin turbo with a 2.3 liter.

Why? because its 4 in the morning and it sounds good right now XD

Old 07-04-2015, 03:47 AM

I'm not 100% serious on designing this car... I mean, the theory is solid, but the calculations are rough at best... And I don't have the slightest idea how to patent or market such an idea, nor do I intend to... The comparisons to current models are only for our entertainment, and for the purpose of envisioning what such a car could theoretically achieve... The above is the result of my engineering mindset combined with my love for underrated automotive creations, like our Saturns... The sketch I have and specifications I have derived are the direct result of me asking a "what-if" question and then putting pencil to graph paper... The issue I would have with pitching the idea to a major automaker is that the end product couldn't end up anywhere near where I have sketched due to the obsessive want to share parts with other models, and since the SATURN name is gone, my car would end up as a pseudo-sporty B segment offering by a major automaker, with its fundamentals compromised in some way on its way to the showroom... The closest I could come myself would be to build a kit-car and use a GM L61(reliability and proven efficiency) and XFE manual trans(an f23 with taller final drive ratio) and try and keep weight and frontal area to a bare minimum... If weight could be kept under 950kg(ideally around 800, but it's pretty optimistic)such a car could deliver great fuel efficiency and lots of fun...

But, there I go rambling along again... Sometimes when the wheels start turning, I can't get them to stop...

Old 07-04-2015, 03:54 AM

I like this logic though.
Have you ever seen the LSJ swapped S car? I think it was on sixthsphere.
The Ion sub frame actually bolts right up. Just needs to be shaved a bit. The rest is wiring to make it work.
I considered it when I had my 92. Building the extra ecotec from the 07 I had (hptuners friendly) and I literally had everything there I needed to wire the 92 to in theory be a light weight Ion at heart.
When I started thinking about it, I would want to supercharge the 2.2, with a built block. Sounds good, right? But the suspension for the S-cars wouldn't be able to handle that kind of power, and I don't know how well the after market scene is for them. I guess a good set of coil overs, sub frame connectors, rear sway bar, strut bar MIGHT be able to handle the 200whp I wanted to throw at it. But who knows.
Something I don't have the time or money to play with right now.
One day I will eco swap a 95 sc.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by goaliemo
you and your turbos.
I say stock twincharge.
Or at least stock twin turbo with a 2.3 liter.

Why? because its 4 in the morning and it sounds good right now XD
Don't get me wrong, that sounds like wicked fun, but the goal of my S series redesign was to have a light(1100kg or so)fuel efficient car(45mpg highway, no hybrid BS, no diesel clatter)... Even the (theoretical)turbocharged S3 car was designed for fuel efficiency, hence only 220hp, but likely 38-40mpg highway, given optimal vehicle dynamics...

Quick Reply: You know...