Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Work chat thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 07:44 PM

Yota boss has been bugging me about leaving all week.
He has offered me more money, more hours, schooling (which is already a dealer perk, but theyve been dicking around with)
I get it. He doesnt want to lose me. For how small of a store we are, we are close to being one of the tops in the region.
But I am trying to make him understand that I dont like toyotas. I never have, and still dont.

For any yota fans: Yes, they are good, reliable, solid cars. But they just do not spark my interest. I am not trying to bash them in any way.

He has been preaching independent shops are slowly dying out due to the advanced technology and not being able to keep up with dealers. That EVs are slowly going to be gov mandated etc etc.

For someone who is in their 60s, and built muscle cars, you would think he would want to help keep combustion engines alive. I am by no means in denial about EVs taking over.
But if I have a chance to help keep gas cars on the road, why not?

Old 02-19-2022, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Did you officially put in your notice?
And officially accept the other position?
I'm not big on using people but when they offer to allow me to use them openly, sometimes that's a no-brainer.

But I am above all else a man of my word.
If I accept a job with someone I show up on day one. No excuses. No looking back.

The same in you, drop dead, I sense.
Keeps you going, the drive it is
Learning new things occupy mind you must
Neil young prophecy, never rust sleeps

Old 02-19-2022, 09:57 AM

Yea, I put a notice in and have been working through it. No BS. Still doing my day to day job.
last day is the 22nd. And I agreed to start there on the 23rd.

I am welcome back to this dealer at any point if I choose to.
Will I come back? Probably not. Like I said, not a fan of Toyota's. If I were to go back to a dealer, it would be a dodge/jeep.
To many politics in dealers though. Really. Look up some local dealer reviews on job sites.

Old 02-19-2022, 07:03 PM

My job; I'm just biding my time until I find something else to do. I've been working my current job for 7 years. In that time, it has changed ownership 4 times. My department/site changed its operation from a production site to a contract manufacturing/development site. That is the only reason I stayed. We have gone through 4 generations of crew since I started there. My Director while brilliant; isn't easy to deal with; and can be quite toxic at times. Fortunately as we are now, we're in the last stages of our site relocation. So things are not that stressful. Even so, my Director is driving the current crew nuts. I already know how toxic he gets when we running full send; so if I notice people looking for other jobs; I am going to take my leave with them; as I am tired of working understaffed.

This is not to say that I have no joy working at my job. It can be humorous at times. Lately, my Director has been second-guessing my decisions. Since these are minor decisions, I don't care. One such minor decision was office furniture. I had a couple vendors lined up to set up our office. My Director went over my head and got another Director to make that decision. WHich is okay for me. But after writing up that Purchase Order and receiving the furniture (which is leased btw); I realized that we might be overpaying; as some of the furniture is damaged and had to be replaced twice over.

One thing that was not included was a stationery cabinet. So I selected one from IKEA and Uline; both of which my Director rejected. SO I left it up to him to decide; which took 2 months as he is busy. Also got annoyed with me and my inventory manager for not giving him any more selections. So he sends me a link to one of these no-name online vendors and told me to purchase a $1k cabinet. Okay, that's what I did. Mind you, his selection was more than double than the IKEA cabinet I liked. That was a month ago. Just got this thing last Monday. Opened up the hackneyed crate and saw a half page of instructions; with 1 picture and not many words to instruct us on how it goes together. On top of that, although the cabinet was heavy; I realized that it's just dense particle board. My Director had things for me to do; so he put 4 people on the task of assembling it. After a hour; one of them comes up to me and asks me to assist them. Now it's 5 people working on this. After a half hour of figuring out the instructions and ID'ing the various pieces and panels, I help them assemble it. SInce it was 5 of us, there were different ideas on how it was supposed to go together. One thing I noticed was that all of the various brackets lined up with one another. On paper, that's not a bad thing; but in reality, the bracket bolts on each side of the attaching panels were hitting one another. This caused the bolts to push on each other and gouge material out of the panels. This was especially true with the door hinge brackets. I tried to warn my coworkers about that; and I got some opposition. So I left and went back to doing my tasks. By EOB, it was assembled; but shoddily so. The next day; my inventory manager and my engineer got into a heated argument based off a simple question (yes, they don't get along). So my engineer went to the cabinet to find batteries (which was the subject of the heated argument) and ripped one of the doors off. He just left it like that and asked me to find batteries for him. Not knowing that he did that, I go to the cabinet to find it broken. My Director sees it and gives my inventory manager epoxy and acetone to fill in the excavated door hinge bolt holes. As I said before, my Director is quite brilliant; and I'm sure the epoxy and acetone works for him; but my inventory manager isn't familiar with that kind of work. So at the end of last Thursday, he comes up to me and asks that I help him repair the door. Having lived in a 110 year old house as a kid; I knew what to do. So I brought in wood glue and toothpicks; cut the toothpicks down; put a little glue in the holes; and jammed in the cut toothpicks to fill up the holes. Then I dabbed some more wood glue on top of them. Simple, but effective; as I used that method to repair many a broken door hinge at home. My Director saw the glue and toothpicks and was annoyed with my inventory manager; who just blew him off and said somebody else did that. My Director figured out that I must have done that, but didn't say anything. Now, I didn't want to tell him that his engineer broke the door because my Director has been on my engineer's back for 2 months now; and I don't want to be without an engineer (that's a story in and of itself). I'm letting the glue fully set this weekend; and I will use wood screws to fasten the door back into place. I also noticed that the bottom shelf isn't supported at the front corner; because one of the 4 people didn't heed my warning about the intersecting bolts. So I will take a 2" wood screw and drill it through the side panel into the shelf to support it.

So, if you read this far; you're probably wondering, what's the problem? Well, there is none. Just a simple situation/task made complicated by my Director. There are many other things going on there; this is just one of the more humorous events.

Last edited by Chickenbone; 02-19-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I want to know the rest

Old 02-20-2022, 07:14 PM

Chickenboner, the point of this thread is to let it out.

Type away my friend!!

Old 02-20-2022, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Vent... don't be bent.
Spew,...don't be blue.
Spout...don't you pout
Share...'cause we care.

This message brought to you by Drop Dead, Official Saturnforum Proponent of Better Mental Health Though Sharing (SPOBMHTS)

Old 02-21-2022, 11:33 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Love it !!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was done being bent about this job years ago. Unfortunately, I've gotten used to it. My coworkers; most of whom came from larger companies; have thinner skin. They only take so much before they move on to better things. Back in early 2019; when we were at our old lab; we were working full send; with a full crew. Then one of our customer's products went commercial after they passed their FDA inspection. They needed to staff up quickly; so they let my crew know that they had open positions. My Director was very stressed and toxic at the time, so half of my crew immediately jumped ship (including my Director's son). I was almost going to go with them, but I wasn't too crazy about their operation. But I let my R&D Director (another guy) know that I was going to send my application. Long story short; my other Director convinced me to stay and got me a raise. Plus; I already knew that my company was selling our old lab to our customer; so I was anticipating a slow-down. And when COVID hit; we came to a slow crawl; which gave me time to sort out my affairs.

The problem with COVID and the lockdown is that with my company; everybody who works for my Director (half of my crew) is required to be here 5 days a week. The other half who work under our QA Dept.; have the option of working from home. At first this was not a problem. But as the task list grew for my workmates; it became one. Since we moved here in late 2020; we saw 5 of the crew leave the company for better things. This is due to them not wanting to deal with my Director; and the fact that some of them had a long commute to work. While they grinded their way through the days; we had others who we would see maybe once a week; a couple of them was more like twice a month. So they felt as if they were being unfairly treated. My new-hires are currently voicing the same concerns. So I will see where this goes. If they leave; I will once again consider leaving; as I am tired of filling in for missing people.

Oh yeah, I remounted the broken cabinet door this morning. Unfortunately since it is level and functioning as it should; it makes the 3 other doors look uneven.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Chick B,

Are you doing research in an FDA regulated field like a pharmaceuticals?

Doesn't quite sound pharmaceutical to me but when you say lab and r&d a guy gets confused

Old 02-21-2022, 09:04 PM

Derf: Yes, I work in the pharmaceutical industry. I work in the contract manufacturing department. So yes, we have a R&D department.

Quick Reply: Work chat thread