Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Woodworking question - compucarve

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Question Woodworking question - compucarve

Is anybody familiar with the Craftsman compucarve system or any other computerized carving/router system? I was thinking of buying one but I don't know much about them.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Can't help you brother.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

no clue. I'm bad with woodworking.

If you buy one could you please make me a three dimensional wooden snowflake?

I've always wanted one of those

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 AM

Check youtube, im sure theres a runthrough on there and Im pretty sure craftsman has a channel. Does it come with an instructional video?

Id assume it works something like autocad, where you design the piece, make its thicknesses and edges, set the parameters and let it go

Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Other than seeing them in operation and knowing a couple of people that have purchased them I no little more than anyone else.
It does seem to me that before one goes about purchasing them is that you need to have a commercial application to cost justify the purchase unless your budget is large enough to front it. Than it is little more than an expensive tool. And we all buy those things when we want them bad enough.
I have not priced anything like that in a few years but the last time I did it was 5 digit purchase and that is out of my budget.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.
These start at about $1,200.00. And go up from there. They work with a computer, not included with the deal. Most will work it ok. I do have some work projects for it if I can find one that is dependable. There is a video on the craftsman site, and there are some on youtube. My problem is really the reviews. Some people love it and it works fine. Others hate it and say it is junk. They recommend getting another brand which costs a lot more, maybe 5 times as much. I can't afford that. And I am not sure which side to believe.

I guess I have to do a little more research.

And yes derf, I would be glad to make you a snowflake.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Trike,
I am a wood worker and while I have craftman tools frankly I think at this point in time, craftsman's reputation in quality has taken a back seat to other manufacturers in general.
At the price I personally would not look at a craftsman's tool just because I kinda think there are others out there with better designs. I would not discourage it, but would look closely.
I opened my mail tonight and one of the fliers from a wood workers store hit the table. Rocklers. They are a franchise I think but would not swear to it. So far everything I have seen in their stores has been quality and would not hesitate to consider a product from them.
The following CNC Routing units are on sale.
Mako CNC SHARK HD @ 4 grand. A CNC SHark Routing System at 3 Grand and a Click N Carve BE2015 at $1600.00

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.4zlcSGk9Yac

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.p4zor-ATLEU

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.2Z5Ehzeb4RQ

See if any of these meet your requirements and there is probably a Rocklers near where ever you live.

I have a number of deep pocket wood working tools, the heavy stuff is a mix of Jet and Craftsman. The Craftsman stuff I bought a long time ago.
Power tools across the board with my router being a PorterCable. I have no light duty Craftsman power tools.
All my hand mechanic's tools are Craftsman.
My inexpensive power tools have all be Black and Decker. I frankly don't think you can beat Black and Decker tools for the price. They are inexpensive and better quality than what you pay for.
But by inexpensive, I mean just exactly that.
I would not buy an expensive Black and Decker tool

Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 AM

Well uncljohn you have clouded the waters for me but it is a good thing. I have been looking at some of the better machines in the links. I have to check them out a bit more. They look more durable and have bigger capacities. Thanks for your help. No Rockler dealers near here. So it will have to be online probably.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:15 PM

Didn't mean to cloud things, but if it broadens the mind I guess it must be a good thing. I pretty much stopped buying Craftsman some where along the line when Sears separated from Roebuck. I guess I never did figure out why that happened, but being able to purchase Craftsman from Target stores has not impressed me as the quality location to purchase things from. The CNC stuff I have seen demonstrated has been through Rocklers now that I think about it. I think the last expensive piece of woodworking equipment I have purchased from Sears was a Radial Arm Saw and while I have never regretted purchasing it and it has done well for me over the years as a tool it requires being on top of all the adjustments necessary to keep Radial Arm Saw functioning correctly. On a Radial Arm they are very versatile but with some limitation on accuracy and rip sawing. I have used it successfully now for about 20 years. But I recently up graded to a quality Jet Table saw. While it is really good, the versatility is not there so now I have both. Plus a band saw. Also a Jet. This of course creates the problem of where they live. A radial arm saw did many things well and did not take up much room. A table saw does a few things really well and takes up a lot of room.
Good luck with finding what you want.