Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Where do you work on your Saturns? (driveway, yard, basement, garage, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Default more fun from the past

I just remembered two more "fun" mechanikin incidents I had.
One was on a trip from Virginia to Connecticut. Driving a 1984 Chevy Citation the thermostat stuck shut while I was trying to get unlost in New Jersey. Had to pull the thermostat with only a pair of channel locks and refill with water from the melted ice in our cooler. Did it all in the emergency lane of I95. Once while I was working someone stopped in this ragged looking tow truck and asked me if I wanted a tow. I could feel it in my gut that if I said yes we'd never see that car again. Told him very firmly NO!

The other was in a Walmart parking lot in Arkansas on the way back to Virginia from California. Fuel filter on our 1991 Geo Metro got plugged up and we found the last one available at an Advance Auto at 9pm in that little town where we broke down. Replaced it with only a pair visegrips I borrowed from someone overnighting in a motorhome in the parking lot. Fun lying in that puddle of gasoline at night with the asphalt of the parking lot dissolving and getting all over my arms.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:54 PM

Up to a month ago I had a nice covered parking area underneath my apartment. the only problem was it wasn't level. Now, I have a level parking lot, but it's in the sun and I don't think my new neighbors take too well to someone tinkering with their car. Thankfully, I think I excised most of the demons out of it.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'm spoiled, and, not counting high school, I've always had the luxury of working in garages --either my own or recently at my brother in law's friend's house -- with a mini lift for oil changes, brakes, starters and such, and a full lift for nastier stuff.

Most gratifying "success" story:

Helping a friend in high school remove an engine from a 66 Ford Econoline (3 on the tree) engine located between he two front seats and transplant it into a 1970 Econoline body that wasn't falling apart.
_____
Aside, but related to above)
Was driving home from college for the summer w 2 buds, the 66 van packed to the hilt. I'm seated in a recliner positioned so that I can rest my legs on the engine cover between the seats. I commented the rear right sounded pretty loud. 2 hours later I smell burning rubber and yell up front to get the passenger to look out the window.

Rear axle bearing had worn through; axle shaft had slid out.

The only reason I am still alive is because the van was overloaded with ****, and the tire could not get out from under the wheel well.

Worst experience:

Removing and replacing 14 and 16 yr old lower control arms on my two sc2's w the front up on jackstands. Took a full day's PB Blaster soak with repeated applications to get the bolts and nuts loosened at the frame. Trashed two ratchets b c the box end wrench kept vibrating off the nut from the impact gun vibrations. I was afraid to turn it up too high lest I twist off the bolt -- which I would have gladly done if I were not reusing them.

Finally broke both loose by hand, ironically.

Last edited by derf; 07-16-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:58 PM

Apartment living usually means you can't work on your car at home. That bites. A friend of mine had his early 80's Econoline blow a head gasket and he was able to do all the work from inside the van. Landlords never knew.

A machine shop I used to work at let me come in after hours and use the shop to work on my cars. The fork lifts worked great for picking up the cars and the heavy metal sawhorses our welder used would support the car just fine.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:51 AM

Yeah, there was probably something that said something about that in my lease agreement, but the car was never in pieces for more than a few hours. I don't really have the tools to really get into it. However, I managed to rip the dash apart several times and other assorted interior assemblies with no problem!

Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 AM

OMG, we've had a couple 'worsts'!

Changing a water pump on an F150 in a Pep Boys back lot in Atlanta on a Sunday evening with horse trailer and horse present. Limping to the Pep Boys while trying not to overheat was NOT amusing. Funny thing was the horse didn't go ballistic as we went along the shoulder of the interstate!

Absolute worst was doing a repo on a horse we'd sold to a woman (nutcase) in Detroit and having the tranny on the F250 go to hell in Mt Clemens MI. That one went to a shop. Fortunately we didn't have the horse yet. But 3 days in that town would make anyone go postal!

Now DH has a converted barn to garage with cement floor to work on stuff. No more gravels stuck in his back!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:06 AM

I rent and anything other than changing a flat tire or putting fluid in is strictly prohibited. So I must do work at an auto parts store. Last bigger repair was when I had to be under the car for sometime in the parking lot to replace the starter. I had someone else there to assist me so I did not have to get out to get parts, and also so I was not killed.

Nothing like getting under a Saturn with only inches room being on the bare parking lot ground.

Round 2 is coming up, and I am gathering parts so I can do it all in one day. Five repairs at one time! Actually repairs and tune up.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

you don't know anyone w a floor jack and jackstands?

And, theoretically, couldn't you work on your car in a friend's driveway or in the street in front of their house?

Just trying to think a tiny bit outside the box

Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 PM

Ouch, that's one of the reasons I will hopefully never rent near town... Part of me wants to be close, and not have a lawn, and then I remember that I like wrenching in my cars(when there's not a deadline involved)

Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

stay away from cities; crime/meth/zombies everywhee

Quick Reply: Where do you work on your Saturns? (driveway, yard, basement, garage, etc.)