Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

What if.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Do you think Saturn got lazy? What about if Saturn themselves designed the diesel engine that would be placed in these cars? They designed a bulletproof straight 4 in the s-series, just didn't use a very good transmission.....

Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 AM

SNIP
Do you think Saturn got lazy? What about if Saturn themselves designed the diesel engine that would be placed in these cars? They designed a bulletproof straight 4 in the s-series, just didn't use a very good transmission.....
SNIP
No, I don't think Saturn got lazy, I think GM got cheap, and in doing so lost it's leadership in engineering and marketing. Emphasis shifted from bringing a product to market that had some form of loyalty to assuming that the road to profit was mediocrity. And that the customers did not have the knowledge or the desire to tell the difference.
GM's dabbling in the diesel market in the US pretty much destroyed the market by producing a corporate engine that was poorly presented and flawed in execution. Anyone that might have had an interest in a diesel dropped it after experiencing the results of the GM corporate V8 and it’s well deserved reputation reinforced by front page headlines. One of the true disposable engines GM produced.
As far as a Saturn Diesel is concerned, there was no market for one, as far as introducing one with the later models. I can only speak for my self. I didn't like them and would not buy them. A diesel had no impact on that nor would it.
And the only other comment I can make is it looks like more people than I felt the same way. The Saturn in now gone, due to lack of sales.
Dunno about the transmissions, never had a problem with mine and don't remember seeing a theme about them over the years in forums, at least as far as the S cars go.
The CVT transmisssion in the Vue is another story altogether.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM

They used cvt in early ions like mine too, luckily I didnt get one.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned

Yes -- you are indeed lucky..........