Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Wasted Junkyard Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

I think the mopars you drove included many in the generation before I was born. So I'm not saying every car that ever rolled of their line was crap, just that the 70s until fairly recently were not their shining years. It was the apparent lack of desire to address the year over year known issues that was a big turnoff to my little analytical brain. Hell I'd love a late 60's Challenger......

Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 AM

I'm guessing you mean a 1970 Challenger, derf. Technically, I guess you could be right as the 70 Challenger made its debut in late 1969. I've owned a Mopar from the 40's, a couple from the 60's, several from the 70's, 3 from the 80's, several from the 90's and several 2000+ year models. I enjoyed them all. I never found one from the 50's I could afford back in the day. I only wanted a hemi and even back then, they didn't go that cheaply. At least, not on what I could afford!

Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'm guessing I just demonstrated how very little I know about molars. But yes, an early Challenger or roadrunner would be just fine

Old 04-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Banned
Default Road runner

I would love to have the old road runner! Beep beep!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 AM

I drove a number of MOPARS from the 60's. They were iffy. I never had but one earlier than 1960 and it doesn't really count, I broke it through stupidity. My dad had a 57 Dodge, new! It was not a good car. Up state NY at that time used a lot of salt and they rusted faster than you could say it. And they broke springs and torsion bars with regularity. I had a number of early 60's Valiants and they were good cars and some late 60's Chryslers, all as used cars though, purchase 2 years old and driven 30.000 miles + a year and aprox 3 years. By that time they were worn out and big pieces falling off of them due to rust. I bought them because you could buy a better Chrysler car for the same price as a Ford or Chevy which rusted just as fast. They were cheaper thus a functionally better buy. Chrysler quality control was not good, so I would buy one, take them home and spend the next two weeks screwing them back together and tightening things missed during assembly. They ran well until worn out once taken care of.
By the 70's the quality control was so bad that I could not get them screwed together well so I started buying AMC products, essentially for the same reason. As a used car, a good one was cheaper than the big three. I drove them until I moved out of the rust belt where things would last longer and went back to buying Chryslers. Never had a hemi, or a Challenger or Road runner. As a used car they were generally whipped so between that and rust attacking them, never saw a used one that was worth buying at the price being asked for it.
Once out of the rust belt, Chrysler had come up with the K car and had one of the first ones new! That was an experience. My only complaint with them was they were under powered. I still drive Chryslers I guess and collect AMC cars. Times change and so do I. The sorriest car I ever owned was a new Lincoln, and today's offering from them is not something I would want sitting in my driveway. I'd still like a HEMI, but still can't afford to buy one and rust is no longer a problem here in Phoenix. It is just hot and a working A/C is quite important.