Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

It is a slow recovery but

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Yep congress has no problem giving a raise to each other. Unc had my open heart surgery 10 years ago this month...........I've been given a clean bill of health along with a load of other bills from every ologist I had to make my appearance at. Did the prostrate thing and no cancer, thats a good thing. If we win the lottery you'll need to open a paypal account so I can send you 4 grand so you can go on your road trip. Thats dreaming big but what the hell it sounds good.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 PM

I've got the paypal account. But only one problem, there is no problem in having one, keeping money in it though is a whole 'nother story!
I learned something new today. Well I guess I should have learned it a long time ago an wish I had.
I've built a few engines in my life over the years and used in every one of them (except the model A Ford motor) an Iskenderian camshaft with remarkably good success. All while not knowing why! Well up to a point anyway. This Chevy motor that I built to put in my Hornet is running but I have had a beastly hard time getting it to tune. Something I never have had a problem with before. I used however a Cam Shaft from Iskenderian on this one that has a split intake/exhaust duration a configuration I have never used of 270/280 degrees. Again a configuration I have never used. A 260/260 is the longest duration I have used with no problems... It turns out when duration gets at and over 270 degrees it is considered a racing engine grind and it requires a different tune up specification for ignition timing which I did not even know existed. Until a few hours ago. I have a feeling I blew it. I think though I can get it tuned to run as I wanted it to with out having to purchase and install a less aggressive camshaft. If I do, it might just be a handful to drive but until then? At least I know now what I have to do to get it tuned.
I am living in a whole new engine world tonight!!!!

Even with my new found education I still wish I could get replacement or re-ground cams for my SC2 94 saturn. Something with a duration of 260/260 I am sure would be computer compatible and give me the 15 hp in the thing I wish it had.

Last edited by uncljohn; 11-17-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: unfinished thought
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Banned

If you ever find any of those camshafts at a close to reasonable pricing -- sticky the site/manufacture here, everyone will be most grateful ...

Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Paypal is transfering money, you don't leave money there.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 PM

I won't touch Paypal with a ten foot pole. They screwed me out of some money several years ago, so if that's my only option, then I won't purchase a product.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 AM

I've dealt with PayPal for a number of years now with no problem what so ever and is about the only way to do transactions out side of the U.S. with out incurring humongous handling fees.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Banned

I dunno - some people are beginning to get on the bandwagon with "BitCoin" process. Seems like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo to me, but I'm getting old ...

Old 11-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

holy sheet, I never opened this thread so I did not know about your brush with...well.....whatever.

Glad you're still here with us and are once again able to do what you love.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM

Unc it's good to hear your doing well, keep it up.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 AM

I had a consultation with the last of the Dr's involved with me while at the Hospital. The Kidney Dr. who basically left me with the impression he very well qualified. It helps to have some confidence with the guy or gal that is going to take on the responsibility to pass judgement on you to turn you loose so you can do out and do anything you want no matter how stupid it is.
And my kidney functions which were not good for a while are now declared to be acceptable as long as I keep my weight under control. And I can go out and work on my cars as long as I take a little care.
I got the hood and the fender primed, the fender where I had to weld a patch in to utilize the period correct radio antenna. The car was a radio delete option when it was new. And by the way try to find that today.
The hood, I had sanded bare and need to install a hood scoop now. Also I can now tune the engine. I have enough of an exhaust system plumbed in to quite it down to an acceptable level. I discovered when I tried to get the engine set up quickly, something I rarely have a problem with that things like the timing were comming out with some real high advance numbers. But due to noise I could not really try to figure out why. I think I did. I bought too much of a cam for it. High duration numbers, 270 degrees or better cross a line in tune up specs that I did not know existed. As the cam is a 270/280 intake and exhaust duration it looks like static timing will have to be some where around 15 degrees and idle something around 1100+ rpm just to get the configuration properly running. In this case duration is the big swinger, lift does not have too much of an effect in this area. I am in new lands here but will figure it out.
Thanks for the birthday wishes, a big 72 today. I celebrated by enjoying the day and getting my Saturn back on the road for the first time since the heart attack. I have a bit of a leak from the transmission but I'll see if some stop leak will hold it back for a while.
But the bottom line still is, the pleasure of driving the thing. It is next on the paint job schedual. I need to correct the screw up I did a few years back. And install the parts I got to fix the odometers. I am half afraid to tackle that due to the effect the heat has had on all the plastic. I would hate to start the repair and end up breaking all the plastic mounting points. But I have the parts so I probably will shortly.
Technology has superseded the S series Saturn but it remains a pleasant and nice driving car. Mine, even though it is 20 years old now and a little over 100,000 miles if I need to drive it cross country, a trip to the gas station for a full tank of gas is all the prep it needs to start the run.
I dunno, I have always like the thing.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Quick Reply: It is a slow recovery but