Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Saturnless Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Default Saturnless Again

Well boys and girls, I am once again without a Saturn. I traded it today for a 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser with 45,000 less miles on it. The main reason was because the damn wagon sits too low for my disabled wife and daughter to get in and out of comfortably. Wife has had 7 back surgeries and our daughter has rods and screws from her low back to her neck. The PT is great for entrance and exiting for them both. Sure, I'll lose a few mpg, but to avoid hearing about the height of the car, it's well worth is to me. So, I guess I'll bid you all adios, unless you want me to stick around. I'll be offline starting next Monday for about two weeks or so, so y'all decide if you want a MOPAR man here on the forum. I kind of hope you'll allow me to stick around, but I will only be able to contibute general knowledge, which isn't very much.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

though the urge to ban you is strong (NOT), we would be delighted to have you stay -- you are an integral member of our saturnforum family, and I can't BELIEVE you'd think for a moment we wouldn't want you around.

It's not just saturn experiences or knowledge that makes our forum "work" -- it's the life experiences (automotive and otherwise) of each active member that we share that makes this place somewhere I want to be.

With age comes experience and with experience comes knowledge -- unless you haven't been paying attention all of your life--in which case you're a fool.....

I value your input on anything and everything---please stay.
Plus I have your cell # and will call every 5 min if you are gone for more than 2 days

Your house is no longer listed online, so CONGRATULATIONS dude!!! FL bound!

Old 06-19-2015, 12:42 AM

I agree with Derf.
You better stick around. Remember, I am not that far from Tennessee or Florida, so I will hunt you down!

But seriously, as derf was saying, it is definitely a pleasure to have you as part of the family.
I know I am the baby of the group on here, and as much crap as I talk, you guys seriously have taught me a lot.
Charlie, you better stick around. Saturnless or not, you are always welcome.
Youll be back in one, one day. And hopefully an Ion

Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 AM

Thank you, fellas. I do hope to one day get my hands on an Ion. I just needed to downsize to two vehicles while I'm trying to get my business up and running. Every penny counts and it seems like ever other day, the frigging mortgage company or power company, insurance people, etc. want some more money for this and that. What a pain in the butt moving from one state to another is! I won't ever do it again. Looks like this old hillbilly will die in FL some day. But seriously, starting Monday, y'all need to give me two weeks before I'm back. I've got to find an internet provider and phone services there in Lake Wales. It's a rural area that I'll be living in (thank GOD), and only a few places service that area right now. I'm going to introduce myself to the neighbors and find out who they use/recommend first.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 06-19-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:33 AM

Congrats on the sale of your house! Hopefully your move to FL goes smoothly...

And I wouldn't dream of you departing from us, even though you don't have a Saturn anymore... One day, you will find yourself in a nice ION and by then, maybe I will too, lol...

Old 06-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

just finished setting up my sister in law w internet and wireless.

Did alot of searching around (they live in a deep valley in a ruralish part of Ohio), and reached these conclusions:

1) 2.5 MB/s via cable is fast enough even if you are used to faster
2) DSL will suck if the phone lines on the poles suck (and so will the speed)
3) Satellite internet is absurdly overpriced for what little it offers with all kinds of limitations, overage charges, and other silly stuff a company could only get away with if they knew you had no other option
4) Verizon and others are now offering a service where you can surf through a data connection. It's not through your phone and it's not a hotspot through your computer. It is some type of device that collects and amplifies a wireless signal outside your house and runs the signal inside to what I think is a full featured wireless router device. It's just like adding a phone to your plan, but it's a wireless internet device and you have to have some data plan with it.

Caveat: You must have a 4G phone signal for it to work--it will not run on a 3G signal.

We ended up just going with the local cable company who offers up to a blazing 3.5 MB/s, as they already had cable tv anyway. But the journey was quite educational.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:55 PM

Yeah, I'm just situated in my new digs too. Florida should be filled with retirees' old low mileage Saturns! There's a guy in Punta Gorda who only sells saturns and parts. I looked him up while visiting the old folks in the area and he had lots of parts and a few decent Vues and Ions out front.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 AM

It's only about 90 miles from Lake Wells to Punta Gorda, Dave. Thanks for the info. I may have to try and find that guy in a few months!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
It's only about 90 miles from Lake Wells to Punta Gorda, Dave. Thanks for the info. I may have to try and find that guy in a few months!
I was wrong, the shop is in Port Charlotte. It's called Pro Power Auto Sales Company. They have a website that's non-op, but I remember they advertise in the local newspaper (that's how I found them).

Here's a phone number: 941-627-8822. Address: 23440 Janice Ave. Port Charlotte, FL 33980.

In Google Earth I can see the cars lined up in front of the shop, but in StreetView, it's something different. It's been a couple years since I've been there. Hope it's still there for you!

Dexknows listing

"Located in the Whidden Industrial Park in Charlotte Harbor, Florida, Pro Power Auto Sales Company has the best supply of pre-owned Saturns and also offers a full service mechanical shop. Owners Fred and Mark McGready stock new and used parts for 1991 to 2002 S Series of Saturns. Our service manager is always ready for your repairs or to advise you on whatever your needs may be. Be it an oil change, air conditioning or tire repairs, bring your vehicle in."

Old 06-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

damn--a saturn re sale and repair shop

might be a great source for NOS!

Quick Reply: Saturnless Again