Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

New Post

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Having stuff paid off is a good feeling.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default Slow and steady

Finally got the last caliper bracket bolt off
I love low profile swivel sockets.
I had to whack the hell out of it by hammering a 6 in extension around the outer rim, round and round and side to side, between the two to get it as fully fully fully seated as possible after a ton more cycles of Blaster.

Bought an overly expensive Dewalt 20V mega monster Torque gun. Adjustable ranges and trigger sensitive speed.
The trigger sensitive speed is the only reason I was able to get these bolts out. I was able to get everything as far seated as possible, then just a few light impacts right on it, then the socket would shift. Re hammer, a few more light impacts. repeat repeat repeat. I love the tool other than it weights about 8 pounds. Over 50, out of shape, and holding it at half-arm extension on and off for half an hour lying perp to the wheel leaning what body weight I could into it is not the optimal situation.

Cam Cover

All but one cam cover T40 bolt out. I forgot to warm up the engine a bit before beginning as I did on the 97 a couple years back. Oops.
A lot of Blaster and a lot of patience later, my cheap T40 bit is worn and the Torx edges are starting to wear on the bolt so I have stopped.
Will reinsert all the other bolts in correct sequence and moderately torque to be able to run the car long enough to warm it up just a bit. Heat and new bit should do the trick. The problem bolt is in the back and I cannot get any direct down force on it.

I have to look up the size of the crank pulley bolt again as I never did buy a socket to be able to rotate by hand. Pretty sure it is bigger than what I have.

Leak down testing.

Bought a not too expensive leak down tester and will learn how to do that.

I used to find it interesting that this engine can build up 190 psi compression cold in all cylinders yet likely be out of time.
But some smart experienced dudes around here have helped me to remember that is a PEAK reading, so even with one of the cams out of time, there is enough time with the valves properly closed that it can PEAK at 190 cold and drive down the road with pretty much normal power. Hence why you can't deduce things like slight timing issues with just compression testing. It's a quick guide for relative health --but the patient may have an underlying condition that the test can't detect.

I am really loving getting my mind into and my hands onto all the stuff we talk about -- I have wanted to solve the white car mystery for about 13 years. Seriously.
Why didn't I?

Self-confidence.

What is second nature to you lifers (compliment) has been intimidating for this kid who grew up in the Philly suburbs with hands-on mechanical understanding of paper clip technology. Was 17 before helping my friend with part of an engine swap (66 Econoline (between the seats) engine into a 70 van. We both learned what a pilot bearing was--the hard way....

I know posts about successfully removing stuck fasteners are about as exciting as a snoring spouse, but you folks are the only people that can truly appreciate on any level the satisfaction of which I speak, as I'm sure there was a time in your lives that such things were gratifying to you.

Even if you were 9.

Keep on.
Straight Ahead

Last edited by derf; 10-25-2020 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:10 AM

You go, derf! I admire your tenacity. Not many of us would have kept trying. As for not being able to get to the T-40 with any force, what about removing the hood?

Old 10-25-2020, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I, the moron that I am, did not warm up the engine before I started. These bolts have a metal washer between the bolt head and the rubber grommet. I'm thinking that is electrochemically bound to the cam cover which is aluminum. There was not a micron of anything on the threads of the other nine bolts

I'll need to put it back together and torque it down so that I can run the engine until it's warm. I also bought a few new t40 bits. It's at times like these you find out how much thoroughly unacceptable play there is in the head of your ratchet and even on well used breaker bars

Old 10-25-2020, 11:34 PM

We bought a 2016 cherokee latitude about a month ago. Nice to work on being spotless with only 38k on it.
but so many electronics. Was able to bypass the auto start/stop by unplugging the hood prop sensor.
point being I enjoy the simplicity of older vehicles.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Learning how to tear down and rebuild a carb is on my bucket list. Can't let that kind of knowledge and skill evaporate from the planet.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Look at that it takes two Chevy engines to move that Ford!

Old 10-27-2020, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

This thing was built years ago by two brothers who live in the town where my wife was born. There are three stores left open in downtown. They closed the coal mine decades ago. If that wasn't bad enough, they rerouted Ohio State route 7 to no longer go through town. To say it has fallen on tough times as an understatement. But then you see things like that that remind you there was a happy time around there sometime

It is also almost undrivable, as if you push the pedal too hard the tires simply break loose from the torque

Last edited by derf; 10-28-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Our city had seven lumber mills thirty years ago and was a busy 24 hour place. Now there is one mill left and half the buildings on Main St. sit empty. It has become a bedroom community for the larger cities.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Many abandoned houses, run down houses, shuttered shops, and meth heads everywhere. A place where you never had to lock anything and kept your keys above the visor is now somewhere you have to lock everything including your front door if you don't want meth heads to steal stuff for drug money. No one will ever move in unless it is to buy four properties, raze everything, build one huge house and live like kings.