Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

I have seemed to gotten caught up with reality.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:34 AM
Default I have seemed to gotten caught up with reality.

At long last and with decent weather I have finally been able to start sanding down the results of the failed paint job that caused the clear coat on my Saturn to delaminate and leave the car looking like it has a rash.
There are going to be hours of sanding involved but I have started. using 220 paper and a D/A sander the larger sort of flatter surface area's are almost ready for primer. About 30 hours of sanding from now the rest of the car will be able to be primed. I will use single stage acrylic enamel to paint the car with this time as it is the easiest to use with the best results. It will be nice to have the coupe look pretty again.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:28 PM

It is 115 degrees today. So after I came home from church I continued Sanding on the Saturn! The other day I went after it with the D/A sander. Set the compressor up for air and used a fairly low speed and 240 paper and addressed the fairly surface area free parts of the body. Upper door and fender, trunk lid, hood and such and pretty much dealt with abut 60% of the body where the clear coat had removed itself and caused a mess. Today I wet sanded the area's where the D/A would not reach. I set up an umbrella to hide in the shade, a fan to move air, a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water, some sanding blocks and some 220 wet dry paper and some thing to sit on. I spent the available time wet sanding the front of the car, the head light doors, bumper and such. The nice thing is I spent time with water dripping most everywhere. That along with the shade and the fan made the 115 degree heat tolerable. And it is coming along nicely. It takes a lot of work and time to prep a car for paint. Even more time when the reason you are doing it was the original job was screwed up. I am going to have to prime the car again and re-sand that and THEN layer on the paint.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:31 AM

Keep up the good work, Unc. Some pics would be nice! LOL How's Val doing these days?

Old 06-29-2016, 03:13 AM

Val's doing better these days, they found some problems that have been plaguing her and you have to identify things before they can be addressed.
Also the sanding on her Saturn has been progressing. I hope to have it in primer by this time next week. More sanding and then a new coat of paint.
A one year check up is being scheduled for her so a progress report can be generated.
Later
Cheers
John

Old 06-29-2016, 07:31 AM

Keep us posted, man. Both on Val and the Saturn. Some pics of the progress would be nice to see. You know, just so we'll know you're not BS'ing us! LOL

Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Be careful with the 115 deg heat, sir, o multiple heart attack survivor.
I would never dream of telling you to do what you should do with your retirement time or not to do what you love.

Just stay w in your means

Last edited by derf; 06-29-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:15 AM

Stay hydrated, man. Keep a gallon of cool water close by.