Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

has anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
Isn't the tail of the dragon a two lane road? I'm sure there are passing zones...

I drove the Tail of the Dragon about this time last year. I think I lucked out and found it on a very nice 75 degree day with not a lot of cars on it. I was actually going to use another road going through the Smokey Mountains, but got lost and stumbled upon it by accident! The road is a very tight two lane road, but it has turn-offs every 1/4 mile or so to let traffic by. Riders have written curve warnings on the road and they proved very helpful. There will be many motorcycles on the road.

The next time I headed down to FLorida to see the old folks, I was thinking about stopping in Spring Hill, Tn and doing a photo op in front of the old Saturn Plant there.

Last edited by Dave4422; 06-03-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:05 AM

Hi guys, this thread seems like a good idea. About me: I'm 27, married (no kids), in grad school for physics. I really enjoy driving everywhere, and I got my 1996 SC2 up to 194k before it started acting up on me. I drive a lot: between Michigan and Connecticut, and Michigan to Chicago. Occasionally I go home to New Mexico. The Saturn took me everywhere, but probably wouldn't have for much longer. I'm still not used to the new one.

I met my wife in DC, and I moved up to Michigan to be with her. She was the first and only woman I've been with. Recently I have had to live in Connecticut, which I don't enjoy much because she's still in Michigan. The good thing about Connecticut is that they have competitive lumberjacking at the college I go to. Chopping and sawing logs gets the frustration out, say because of you being 900 miles from your wife and surrounded by college girls. Luckily I'm in Chicago now, much closer to Michigan, but the job can be harder here. I'm doing my overnight shift from 16:00-08:00 now and hoping nothing breaks and I have to fix it.

I like working with metal. I need a nice ventilated garage space where I can use my acetylene torch and not worry about burning down the neighborhood. I'd really like to learn welding.

That's probably enough... It's pretty late and it's only going to get later.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

not used to the new one what? Fiesta?

27 and surrounded by college women---what a tragedy.....

You must be in northern Michigan if you're lumberjacking -- are you in the U P?

The people around Chicago drive like crazed cokeheads with no ability to estimate the space that their vehicle actually occupies. Or how fast it's going. Or how fast it's not going. Or the number of un-seatbelted children bouncing about in the back seat. It's like every drive on the Dan Ryan is a cultural experience/bad LSD flashback/twilight zone episode, full of "did they really just do that?", "I wouldn't have thought that you could..." and "that's just ****ing stupid" moments.

They drive more unsafely than Philly drivers on the Schuylkill and I95--and that's saying alot......

Old 06-20-2015, 03:15 AM

Hey derf, yeah, I was talking about the Fiesta.

I was lumberjacking in Connecticut. In Michigan I'm in the mitten, close to the middle. I've been to the U P and I'd like to check it out again. Really nice place and they'd probably let me chop a few of their trees.

Every time I drive out of Chicago I can feel the veins in my neck and head popping out a little more.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 AM

You know, I had the same problem... My (then fiancé) was home, and I was living 100 miles north, in Morgantown, surrounded by college girls... I was only eighteen... Thankfully, I did nothing regrettable...

I would love to get back into welding... I've been trained in several processes, but I don't have the equipment to actually do anything...

... and I hate city traffic... Morgantown was pretty bad, because it's population doubled during school, and the people were from all over... I bet I seen at least a dozen different states on people's license plates...

Old 06-20-2015, 12:09 PM

I would love to learn how to weld

Old 06-21-2015, 11:50 PM

It's actually not that hard... 90% or better is in the prep work... If you can caulk a joint in your bathroom and not touch the work with your gun, and get a good looking bead, you can probably MIG weld... From there, other processes can be learned...

Old 06-22-2015, 03:17 AM

I don't remember the last time I caulked something. But that seems like a much cheaper way to learn. Although im sure Harbor Freight probably has a cheap kit.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:59 AM

Check out Drummond Island Michigan. Its a beautiful place.

Never welded...my dad use to weld a lot...oh I rememver being a kid and being told not to look when he was welding and of course being hard headed I had to test that ****...damn kids can be dumb. Lol

Old 06-22-2015, 12:47 PM

We sure can be!

Quick Reply: has anyone done this?