Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Friday night fun....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 AM

Yep, I played goalie for 12 years, skated out my first year. Totaling 13 years.
I think I was 4 or 5 when I started playing.
And yes, we sure are. It sucked moving from new York to Louisiana. I was playing for a high school team at 10 years old.
Ive played it all. Inline, Roller, and Ice.

I stopped playing when the inline rink shut down in my area. Which was actually my first job as well, because they did public skates on the weekend. Then the next two, which were about 45 min from me shut down. There is an ice rink about an hour from me, but they want like 600 to play a 2 month season or some BS like that.

Hockey is so looked down on in the south. I cant even get the games on Tv without ordering the center ice. I just cant afford that with my current situation.
But in other words, New Jersey all the wayyyy! Marty was my greatest influence!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Billy, you ever eat a Little NY Pretzel? That's the business I'm getting into.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 PM

I sure have!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:48 AM

Sorry about the double post, Billy. And everyone else too. I forgot that you'd already answered that question.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 PM

It's cool, Charlie. No biggie.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:56 PM

My brother was a huge MN North Stars fan until they moved to TX. Not sure who he cheered for after that until the Wild started up. We both spent a LOT of time on ice in MN winters as kids! Me on figure skates (no training, self taught and probably poorly at that) and DB on hockey skates. DB played through Jr High then the 'rents made him quit since all the other kids were much bigger than him and they thought he'd get annihilated. He's 51 and still plays broom ball on league now in NC. I haven't skated in decades.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:34 PM

I started on those little quad skates when I was 4ish, started playing roller hockey at 5, ice hockey at 7/8, and inline at 13.
Taught myself how to skate on all 3. Starting in the street, then outdoor hockey rink, to ice, to the plastic floor rinks.
I always played with the older age group. The first few years my mom was in mom mode. Once I got a little older, I would get off the rink and she would ask me why I didn't fight someone. LMAO
Skating is fun and relaxing though. I wish the rink was still open around here.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

I tried to teach myself how to rollerblade about 7 yrs ago so I could get some excersize but equally importantly learn to play on skates. Huge into street hockey in my younger days. Now outside of pittsburgh there's a whole slew of kids in my neighborhood that play street hockey until the local pond freezes over. Then its ice hockey.

Problem is I live halfway down a huge hill and even my driveway heavily slopes away from the house. I guess I need to clean up the basement and skate down there. Any pointers?

I couldnt believe it when MN lost its nhl team. So very wrong

Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 PM

Keep your feet like a "v" and slowly push with your right foot, keeping that "v" shape.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

thank you. When the basement clears up I'll get back at it

Quick Reply: Friday night fun....