Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

95 SC2 now registered as an antique vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default 95 SC2 now registered as an antique vehicle

Antique limit is at least 25, car is 26.
If I ever did have to have it smog tested, I couldn't very easily because no one has working tailpipe testers anymore. But it's driven under $5,000 a year anyway so it's always exempt.

Still need to do the engine swap. Toyed with getting the garage floor done, urethane over epoxy, may still but it's freaking expensive.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:34 PM

Register out of state. No smog needed.
I'm a state inspector here in texas. Only big cities have emissions

Old 07-24-2021, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Already done. I never drove it enough in PA to not have an emissions exempt sticker anyway.

Now it never gets inspected in any way ever again, I never pay registration renewal fees, and I don't have to pretend I live somewhere I don't.

I watched someone trying to start the 95 dohc in 95. The one that has the vibration. It was rocking like a rocking horse from the corner closest to the steering wheel to the front passenger corner. I just switched out the mounts with a new aftermarket ones that are ****e. Wtf?

I will check and see if the amount is already broken, the back dog bone, but this is ridiculous.
I will also finally just pull off the harmonic balancer although I can feel all of the material is still in it. Maybe I'll take off the timing cover once it is out of the vehicle because if I bend it up I will never find another one in all likelihood.

​​​​​​This way I can have a spare engine for the year 2031 if this can be fixed on the cheap. Just have to find somewhere to hide the engine that the wife won't see.

Good thing they are small and don't smell like Grease oil or gas

Old 07-25-2021, 09:53 AM

All my Saturn's are on the back burner because I'm tired of them. Its gets annoying having to constantly put money into poorly designed things.

I'm not even renewing the registrations due next month. No point when they just sit.

Congrats on no more inspection

Old 08-04-2021, 10:48 AM

Engine swap?

Old 08-05-2021, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Engine swap indeed. I also have a 97 SC2 in the driveway with a rusted out subframe that my mechanic told me last year he will not pass this year. 70,000 miles on a rebuild engine, purrs like a kitten, burns no oil.

If I hadn't gouged the body panels on the 97 I would just keep that plus the subframe cost makes it unkeepable. I just got a new job last week so I have my head buried in that. I wanted to get my garage floor ground, epoxied, and topped with urethane, but everyone out here wants to sell me that polyaspartic crap because they make twice the money and it takes half the time. No a quarter of the time.

Just received the antique title today. Went for personalized plates, a one-time charge of too much money but whatever. The amount it cost to file and register this as an antique vehicle rivals the supposed market value of the vehicle which we all know is in the eye of the beholder.

​​​​​​From what I've seen on the net, you take most of the auxiliary stuff I.E starter alternator fuel rail off in order to make enough space to get the engine and tranny out together so I will potentially put the cars next to each other and go back and forth so that I keep them at the same state of disassembly and the parts on opposite sides of the garage to avoid mixing. I have a sizeable cache of S Series parts for well over a decade now. There are probably a few things I should buy while I still can. This thing is totally stock.

I'm dying to buy refinished stock wheels but I don't know if they are bent until I put them on the car. I get no wheel resonance in the 95.on the original wheels...

I think I'm off topic but what else is new.

Last edited by derf; 08-05-2021 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:52 AM

Ah, okay. For some reason I was thinking some sort of crazy Tesla swap; or the more common LSx swap

Old 08-05-2021, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

I have the fabrication skills of a 6-month-old so that's not on the table right now. Anyone want to paint my car for free? I hear it's ridiculously expensive to get a half decent paint job. It is solid white plus clear coat and no real body work to do. Hell I could even take every panel off it except the roof or maybe even the roof and take them in for painting. I just don't know. The pain is crazing on the hood and is starting to chip off. You can still see your reflection in the clear coat compliments of meguiar's cleaner wax for 26 years twice a year. And a light compounding once.

Feel free to stop by and teach me how to weld. I've always wanted to learn. Where are you anyway chickenbone? I could look at your profile but that would take effort

Old 08-06-2021, 08:52 AM

I wish I knew how to weld; and had a place to do it. Would make this Crown Vic project so much easier. Ironically, my Dad is a pipe fitter (as well as a mechanical engineer) with welding skills. As awesome as he was at welding; he had no desire or patience to sit me down and teach me. Probably because he knew I would get into trouble if I knew how to weld; and the fact that we can't strike an arc in our neighborhood without the township being called on us. Perhaps one day if I make enough $$$$$ to own property, I will teach myself how to weld.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Well I never even thought to check to see if arc welding was illegal in my township. I'm thinking oxyacetylene with an auto feeder. If you can light a propane torch, you should be able to light other stuff.

Quick Reply: 95 SC2 now registered as an antique vehicle