Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

03 BMW 325 I E46 M56 fuse box power distribution box revival

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default 03 BMW 325 I E46 M56 fuse box power distribution box revival

That's right folks,

It's not a Saturn.

The car has a sunroof drain leak. Water backed up and ran into the area behind the glove box. Biggest problem with that is that BMW puts their fuse boxes behind the glove box.

The car sat in impound for over a year because of my friend's stepson's idiocy. My friend got it out of impound and actually had it running on 3 of 6 cylinders with misfire and lean codes everywhere on old old gas.

60% of the electrical stuff on the car doesn't work. That kind of makes sense when you look at the amount of corrosion, calcification and outright rust on the fuse box currently in the car.

Every time I pull a fuse to try to clean the contacts with contact cleaner, whenever I put it back in we end up taking a step backwards. So we are just changing the whole fuse box now. $40 eBay + a bunch of time I will never get back in my life.

Anyway, my question is if any of you know how to unspring the terminal contacts so that I may back the wires out, cut off the corroded terminal, find a bag of shiny nice new terminals, crimp / solder a new one to the existing wire in the car and then slide that into the clean fuse box housing I have.

I have never worked on a BMW fuse box. Any ideas on removing those terminals? Technically I could destroy a few terminals figuring it out, but I need those specific slots in the good fuse box housing so I can't wreck the slot itself.

No it's not in the Haynes manual. I do not think it is in the Bentley manual either. if it comes down to it I'll buy a very cheap crappy additional fuse box and perform destructive testing to reach my goals.

What a great winter project.
Actually I will use the same strategy on the original fuse box to get power back to the DME to get the injectors and spark going and get this thing running again before I expend all this effort

Old 12-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Not fan of Big Money Wasted automobiles and have not worked on one in over 30 years. But a Bosch fuse panel should be what is in the car so VW And Mercedes should be close. My L series car is an Opel and probably has a Bosch panel also. I just got home from working overnight and am going to take a nap. I will look at a spare fuse panel and take some picts later today.
Andy

Old 12-21-2019, 08:08 PM

Can't help you on that one, derf. I've never had friends with enough money to own a BMW. Just another piece of Euro trash, IMHO. Kind of like a Mercedes or Volvo.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

I’ll look tomorrow I had to go back to work today and just got home again.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

I took a couple pictures of an L series fuse panel and it turns out to be a Delphi not Bosch. So I am not much help my friend. There are some generic release tools on the market. I have several different types and have purchased some recently for the new weatherpack connectors.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you folks.

I forgot I posted and just reposted the same friggin question which I will go and erase lest I legitimately be accused of double posting.

$5 the local BMW dealer won't tell me. Even if I offer to buy fuses from him.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

I bet they would happily sell you a complete car though. LOL

Old 12-23-2019, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

These are the same people that will not reflash a BCM, DVE or any of the computer parts to match your VIN.. they make you buy all five computer modules brand new and charge you $1,400 just in parts and programming. I asked a question on the BMW site about this, giving the example that you could reflash a Saturn BCM or PCM. They kept saying it was impossible to do on a BMW. I asked the question whether it was impossible to do it or if the dealer was holding out for more money.

No one ever answered me.