New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

newbee with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
I'm new to saturn's, just bought my first a week ago, a 95 SL2,and was fixing it up.So far it seems like it could be a real reliable car if I can get this one problem working.

The problem that I have is that the temperature idiot light is flashing all of the time. The temperature gauge works so I know it isn't overheating, infact it seems to run a little cold but being my first saturn i'm not sure, it runs about half way under the first hash mark. I was wondering what might make this light flash, and has anyone had this problem before. Any ideas would be appreciated. I did replace the temperature sensor but that didn't help any.

thanks for any comments.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Is the SES light also on? (Service engine soon?)

Did you replace the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (ECTS) -- the two-wire sensor located in the cylinder head (driver's side), or did you replace the single wire temp sensor for the temp gauge on the dash? The ECTS is the one to replace and is notorious for failure on these cars up through 1997.

Get brass tipped replacement from Saturn and also replace the connector (corrodes easily, hoses the readings).

Also

1) check to be sure the coolant expansion tank/reservoir is full -- I believe a low coolant level condition will produce the temp idiot light behavior you describe (though this doesn't seem consistent with the other symptoms).

2) The other possibility is that the coolant level switch in the reservoir is bad......
____

If you've already replaced the ECTS, then I would suspect that your
thermostat is stuck open and needs to be replaced. Slow or
non-existent/lukewarm heat from the climate control system should help
you confirm this.

Normal operating temp range on the dash gauge for these cars is about 1/2 way between the first and second (middle) tick.

Please post resolution.

Derf

Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
IT was the engine coolant temperature sensor that I replaced. So I went ahead and assumed that was working proper. I went to the dealer and asked what would trigger that idiot light and they said it must be the low level coolant switch. sure enough, replaced the bottle, because you can't just replace the sensor, and out went the light.

THe engine was still running cold so i went and replaced the thermastat. when I pulled the old one out it had shifted just enought to one side in the housing so that it wouldn't close.

I want to thank you for the help, it was a great starting point, I could have been chasing that light for a month.

Thanks,

Justin

Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM

Thanks for posting what fixed the problem. Glad you got it fixed and welcome to the forum!