New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

NEW TO SITE AND HAVE A ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:06 PM

hi all,

I just want to say thank you in advance for all the help that i know i will get here. I am a new member and i have a 1998 sl1 5 speed and i was in some minor traffic 3 days a go and i was stopped with my foot on the clutch my car acted like it was going to stall. it did that twice well last nite it did the same thing, now i have noticed that my rpm gauge will bounce just a little it just started to do this after this little coughing like thing started any ideas??

Tamkyou,

Joe caswell

minor hill tennessee

Old 04-14-2007, 07:58 PM

If you're around the 100,000 mile mark then a general tune-up is due; plugs, wires, cleaning of the EGR valve, throttle body and linkages, idle air control valve, fuel filter replacement, cleaning the ignition coils of corrosion,etc.. There is the possibility of your engine coolant temperature sensor failing as the original is resin tipped and prone to cracking creating erratic engine running problems. The two-wire connector corroding also may need replacement. Check http://www.saturnfans.com's How-to library for pictures and auxmike's picture procedures on replacement. There are some other things that can contribute to your stall or misfiring so what's suggested should keep you ocupied for awhile and may clear up things but if not just repost what's been done and more suggestions will come.Edited by: GarrenNatas

Old 04-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ducky
Check http://www.saturnfans.com's How-to library for pictures and auxmike's picture procedures on replacement.
Your link was broken...</span>

Old 04-15-2007, 01:24 AM

Hey thanks for the advice I just had a complete tune up done on it. It has 147000 on it maybe some thing was done wrong.I checked coolant and it is red?? Never had red coolant before, some one said it was supposed to be that color?? some times it is very hard to put into first grear could that have something to do with it.. thanks for your help

Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 AM

Red coolant is Dexcool, GM's version of Prestone anti-freeze, not transmission fluid. You may have either a clutch hydraulics problem or a worn clutch as I'm no expert on manual transmission problems. The link I posted is correct and I'm able to click on it to go directly there but anyone can copy and paste the address to the address box or just manually type in saturnfans.com to go there. You'll certainly receive more assistance as there seems to be quite a large membership there to draw from the large pool of experience as well as Saturn technicians.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:10 PM

hey ducky thanks a lot for all your info! I am very thamkful for this web site and all the others that are out there. I think that when i am in nashville next week i will take it up there to the dealer and see what they have to say?? I know that i can find another saturn that i will fall in ve with just like this one or maybe a simple fix!!! thanks joe

Old 04-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ducky
The link I posted is correct and I'm able to click on it to go directly there but anyone can copy and paste the address to the address box or just manually type in saturnfans.com to go there.
That's because I fixed it... If you click on it, the apostrophe-s was part of the web address... I just separated it...</span>[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]