New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New Saturn L100 owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

OK last techy post in New Member Section. Pls create new thread for discussion of progress.

My UNINFORMED preference would be

CLOYES 94201S Cam Timing Set (excellent Amazon reviews)
and
DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS TK314A Balance Shaft Kit
(mid priced set by a company specializing in engine components). Not available thru Amazon.

Total Cost: Around $220 (lost the actual cost when I tabbed away from this page and lost my previous attempt at this post.....)

Contains
the cam bolts, new oiler design, new tensioner design

Does not contain
Crank bolt (none of the kits do)
Chain guide fasteners
Any of the 472 gaskets required to finish the job
______

Why am I suggesting you stay away from the Evergreen kit? Simple. A bit of research on amazon shows that Evergreen pretty much specializes in "kits" of various types. When a kit contains that many TYPES of components, there is no way they are all sourced from quality manufacturers at prices which would allow Evergreen to mark it up AND still offer it to you at that low a price. In my experiences, you get what you pay for.

Yes, going with two separate kits plus purchasing the gaskets separately will cost more, but purchasing quality components and gaskets should ensure that you never have to go in there again.

Oh -- if you get the Cloyes, get it through Amazon as the price is only $3 more than RockAuto and Amazon has free shipping for that item.
The above is my personal opinion based on my own logic and experiences. I have ZERO experience timing engines (wish I did) and therefore I expressly express that you proceed at your own risk having read all the way to the very end of this rant.