New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 05:00 AM
Default New Member

Hello all, I just purchased a 68k mile, 1999 SW2 from my buddies grandmother's estate. Had a few questions about it that I'd like to poke around and try for find answers for, but I saw this new member section and figured I'd post here first.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Saturns are fun n reliable if you take care of them

​​​​​​Ask away..

Old 01-21-2022, 07:27 AM

The first and most pressing question I have (no immediate problems anywhere else on the car so far) is with the key fob, I try to do what I can myself through the help of the internet, (if anyone needs any Kia Rondo headlight work/troubleshooting let me know) so I looked up how to re-program the key fob, (I switched batteries because it was known that they were dead) and instead of the horn beeping when I jump OBD II ports 4 to 8, I just hear a very faint click; like someone is locking the tailgate, but at 1/10 the volume. I can't progress forward and I was wondering if this was a known problem. (If I should post this somewhere else later let me know)

Old 01-21-2022, 08:20 AM

Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with that reprogramming because I'm pretty stupid. BUT, derf is a frigging magician and if anyone can come up with what you need to know, it'll be him. Just be patient and let him work his magic!

Old 01-21-2022, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

And you know the problem is you just can't fix stupid. Sigh....

Let me go look stuff up.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Pls send me a link to the procedure you're trying to use.

The procedures I reviewed said all doors must be closed and the ignition key in the off position then turn ignition to on and insert the jumper between four and eight. Use a paperclip, a small one. The contacts probably have corrosion on them so it may be difficult to get a good connection right away. Just don't jam the thing all the way in there and bend them.

Pretty sure the doors are supposed to lock and unlock when you attach the jumper. That indicates it is in programming mode. I've seen mentions of the horn beep, but since you mentioned only a click while inserting the jumper, I would say either it wasn't a good enough connection or I would ask what is the state of the car's battery. Does it start the car? How old is it? Is it the battery that sat several years with the car?

Please advise

Last edited by derf; 01-22-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

As preventative fob maintenance, disassemble the fob case and very carefully remove the board. Hold by the edges. Find a pencil (if they still make them) with a soft eraser. As in not dried out, not resembling concrete, but soft.

Gently rub the eraser across the four pads where the buttons contact the board when pressed. A thin layer of oxidation builds up and prevents proper operation when the buttons are pressed.

By gently erasing the scuzz until the gold traces look somewhat shiny, you are removing the oxidation.

Clear the debris by blowing it off with your mouth, not a compressor. Don't worry about the rest of the board.

Also be sure that the metal contact attached to the board that contacts the battery when the case is closed is sprung out enough to actually contact the battery with the case closed.

DO NOT PUT A TOOL ON IT TO BEND IT. IT WILL BREAK OFF EASILY. Adjust very slightly by hand and only as much as necessary to ensure good contact with the battery.

This is now taken care of before you get into the steps during programming where you need to hold the buttons down and have them function properly for up to 30 seconds.

😄🙃😄

Last edited by derf; 01-22-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:02 AM

I'll try this later today, thank you. Where I found the instructions was on some key fob wholesaler online and then a YouTube video of a guy running through all the different horn settings (press lock twice to beep vs press lock to beep once unlock to beep twice etc.) if you want links I can pull them later. I've done this, in albeit easier, and newer cars (2013 Chevy equinox) so I want to try to do as much as I can. I wasn't even thinking of corrosion, do you think like rubbing alcohol would help the connection for the paper clip. I have a cheap bluetooth OBD-II sensor from before so I'll check the battery as well. Thank you, again and I'll let you know if anything works.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:10 AM
Default Purgatory 1

Oh, and the car runs and drives fine with the battery already in there. Only time I had even a minor problem was after it was outside parked for a day and a half and it got down to like 4 degrees overnight. Started but took a sec

​​​​​​https://www.keylessentryremotefob.co...ob-remote.html (written procedure)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_lSBVXloQ (video Procedure, I figured it should be the same, just to get into programming mode)

Old 02-27-2022, 01:34 PM
Default SOHC to DoHC engine swap information please

Hi, I just joined and can not see how to make a new post. I'd like to learn if I could take a 2002 SL1 automatic 1.9 engine and put it into a 2001 SL2 5 speed? If someone could walk me through posting, or shed some light on this proposed engine swap, I'd really appreciate it. The 2002 is a great running rusty parts car with auto trans, and the 2001 dohc 5 speed we've had as a family car for years, then became a kid's car, and is just 3K miles short of 300,000 when the timing chain slipped. I realize it is likely I'll have to take the wiring harness and cpu along with the swap, but if all of that is limited to just under the hood, that shouldn't be too bad should it? Does the sohc being connected to an automatic affect either the engine change, or the computer required when going into a 5 speed? will the sohc engine bolt to the dohc 5 speed?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Quick Reply: New Member