New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not one to **** on other people's dreams, but there really isn't a way to squeeze much more out of these engines without either a turbo, a supercharger, or an engine swap with a bunch of fabrication to an lsj or LNF.

Many many of the people that modded their Saturns with turbos 15 years ago are done with their Saturns. Some are selling the cars complete, some are parting them out. Which includes the turbo and a standalone controller and intercooler etc. Got to go I'll be back

Old 10-31-2021, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry I meant 20 years ago

Old 10-31-2021, 07:15 PM

Oh I know if I want to make any power of the little 1.9 I either have to put boost to it or ditch it for different motor

Old 10-31-2021, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

As such, upgrading the suspension for this car or using lowering springs if you can still find any for it only make the ride rougher even if it sticks to the road better or looks cooler.

I'm not saying don't have fun with your car, I'm simply saying your options are extremely limited and there is zero aftermarket support for the s series. Never was and clearly never will be in terms of performance parts.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:58 AM

As far as suspension goes only thing I'm going to do is replace all struts with a better quality than stock and replace all bushings with a better quality than stock not lowering it none as I live in the country and work on a farm so deal with ground clearance issues enough already I do want to go with a slightly wider tire is either 16 or 17 inch rim do you know if a 205 or 225 would fit and not rub without crazy backspacing so the stick way the hell out I don't mind if they are even with fender

Old 11-01-2021, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

It is highly doubtful that whatever on there is the OEM struts.

Almost everyone with s cars uses KYB struts, myself included. The rear struts are the same stiffness as OEM. The front kybs are significantly stiffer than stock. The car handles better but hitting bumps is quite a jarring experience.

If you're thinking prothane bushings, I strongly advise you to read as many threads as you can on as many Saturn forums as you can. They change to make the entire ride rougher. All depends what you're after.

I don't know if they still sell twistec mounts but they are crap. Stay away.

Also, keep in mind that any parts you buy that contain rubber or plastic or probably manufactured no later than 2010. This means they have been sitting on the shelf for 11 years or longer slowly dry rotting and drying out in general. Their flexibility disappears and they don't really act like new bushings.

LCA bushings are the perfect example. There is such little demand for them that no one has manufactured them in years. Back when you could still get ACDelco OEM, I noticed that the parts were new but the bushings were already 3/4 stiffened before they were ever installed.

If you for some reason choose Monroe struts, do not use their mounting hardware the bump stops in the rear. When last I used them, they had those distorting nuts used to keep them from backing off. The problem is that the torque spec is something like 22 foot pounds, so with every movement of the wrench it feels like you are about to twist the mounting stud off.

I once called Monroe to see if they made quick struts for the Saturn s cars. He said no. I told him certain outlets regularly advertise them as such. He said he felt sorry for the people that bought them but that there is not much they can do to stop resellers from hosing the end user.
Definitely use a torque wrench while tightening or you will twist studs off. A couple foot pounds over this torque spec and it's gone.

As for tires, Wheels, offsets, search for a post by username RJIon or something similar that starts with RJ. There is a sticky somewhere on the forum with a tire size and offset calculator I do believe. You can probably also back the information out of something like tirerack.com by putting in the original vehicle specs and then letting it tell you which wheels will fit. From the specs of those Wheels you should be able to back out the general parameters.

I believe I am channeling Uncljohn tonight. Only one who consistently wrote posts longer than mine

Old 11-02-2021, 11:40 AM

Derf trust me they are oem when my grandmother bought the car 7 years ago it had 90,xxx miles it now has 120,xxx miles it's as stock as you can find besides the things I've done since she left it to me in her will