New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New here, 3rd Saturn...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Default New here, 3rd Saturn...

Hey there. I am from League City, Texas, which is in the Galveston Bay area, just south of NASA in Houston, and I am on my 3rd Saturn. I have had a 1995 SW2, a 1996 SL2, and am now riding a 2001 SL2. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Ion when GM shut down the Saturn division... (Still mad at them over that!)

My current ride came to me after a domestic change took the old SL2 out the door, and I came across a good deal on this car from a roomate of mine... It was Salvage titled, but clean, and reasonably well rebuilt. Nothing I couldn't straighten out. The car had less than 30K miles on it when I got it... and I paid $2,000 for it back in 2006, so I can't complain...

It's a twin cam car, with CD player, power steering etc... It lacks power windows and door locks though...

Mods have been very minimal to it, just a K&N intake, and a dual chamber Magnaflow, some window tint.

Since no new Saturns can be had, I am likely going to go through this car and keep it around as long as I can. Probably swap out the seating in the front for something more comfortable, swap in power locks and windows, and an OEM rear wing, and fogs... I have a friend that does Leather interior conversions, so that will be on the agenda as well. In this case, deerskin leather (I have access to plenty of deer hides if I want them for free...)

I look forward to seeing what I can do with this thing here.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

Welcome to the Forum

Old 11-26-2011, 06:19 PM

Old 11-26-2011, 10:45 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm curious as to what seats you'll use in place of the OEM seats. Mine has 295,000 miles on it and I'd like to find another set of buckets for it. I can get seats for $25 each at Pull-A-Part, but don't know of any other GM product that would be a bolt in swap. Do you know?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:19 AM

Not sure what is a direct bolt in. Not allergic to fanning brackets...

Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Dang, I thought maybe you had some insight. I don't have a welding machine or I'd fab some brackets if I had to just to get some more comfortable seats in mine. They hurt my back after a couple of hours riding in it.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Welcome to the Saturn Forum ............

Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 AM

Hey Rube! That surprises me, I have a really bad back and mine doesn't bother me.
As to the new guy?
Glad to see you, welcome to the land of the demented!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:21 PM

I've got two ruptured discs at the L4-L5 area UnclJohn. I also have a Tarlov cyst in my sacrum area. I just had a steroid injection last week and it hasn't helped one damned bit. I'm supposed to have two more before my doctor decides on what else to try. No way in hell that I'm letting him cut on my back. Once you do that, it's never the same again. My wife had had 4 back surgeries and 17 year old daughter has already had one. Not me, brother. Not until I get where I can't walk.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:53 AM

Pretty much the same here, L4,L5 damaged. As close as I can determine damaged as a teenager from falling off of a horse. Caught up with me when I was about 40 as my legs and feet started going numb.
Back surgury left me with use of legs and let me work another 20 years. No back surgury is not taken lightly but with out it I would have been a criple. It did though leave me with 24/7 pain rather then intermittent.
Time passed and things got worse again had the epiderals (spelling) and I am not going to say they did not work, they did IF I just did nothing and sat there like a vegitable. The problem was if I tried to do anything, the inflramation that the epiderals controlls flaired up again so effectively they were ineffective. I am trying to get a 2nd operation, an MRI has indicated the next vertabrae up is damaged trapping the nerves and need to be dealt with. So far have not got the approval for it. I see my Doctor next week to see what and if there is anything that can be done. As it stands, I am doing very little at the present to not agrevate things, pain pills make the pain go away so I can do stupid stuff. Don't know what tomorrow is going to bring, but pretenting to be a vegitable is not on my lists of things to try to do. I am not done being stupid yet.
It's getting worse, I have noticed recently an arm trying to go numb and the pain level is constantly getting higher. At the moment just moving hurts like hell and I just got up. I need a glass of wine and a pain pill and about an hour to move around and try to get things to limber up. SO FAR, driving has not been a problem although I think it might becomming one. Not good if it is. I have no idea what seats might fit the Saturn, it is a one body car, no interchange but there were aftermarket for them. I guess if I had to deal with it, taking the car to a good upholstry shop and paying for the seat to be done is probably the long term best alternative. Yes it won't be really cheap, but nothing else fits, will be cheaper than buying a High Dollar replacement which at the present might be worth more than the car and a good upholsterer can do wonders with shaping and covering a seat. I have had more then one set of seats recovered from essentially bare junkyard frames and they have been more than satisfactory. Not really cheap, but affordable.