New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New to forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:32 PM
Default New to forum.

I'm here to learn. I'm presently on the fence about keeping the '07 Saturn Vue (117K miles) I like, or getting something else used. I need expensive repair that may cost half of what the car is valued at. Nearing retirement, I hoped it would last until the kids take my keys away. I have a second opinion pending while I search my heart and consider what I can spend of my retirement for a newer SUV, or if it will be eaten up by repairs on the Vue. I read I should post to be allowed to stay on, so here I am. I have no expert advice to give, but hope to gain from the wisdom of other Saturn owners. Loved the three I owned (totalled one and walked away safe). I also loved my dealer and repair folks before they shut down. I'll be looking forward to reading posts of other Saturn fans.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome, tell us about the needed repairs and we can provide advice .

Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Talking New to forum

I've been advised I need a new AC compressor, at about 2K, AC still cools some when moving on highway, but not enough with slower town driving. Hoping the second opinion will be less costly. It seems some on this forum change their own parts. I'm in awe of those skills, but being a nurse - not trained in car repair. I'll be hiring someone well researched with good reviews. Though I've been advised by some to trade it in while the air is still blowing a little, I don't think the people who test drive for trade-ins are that clueless, and this is south Florida. I could get something to suit me for 11-14K, but if I had psychic powers and knew I'd spend less than that on the Vue, I'd rather keep it as I worked up to exactly the car and trim level I wanted. Then again, as I am aging, my daughetr thinks I need a back-up camera - just because I barely backed into a little tree. Lol! Not really asking anyone to make my decision, just thought I'd see what else others have experienced with their aging Saturns.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:59 PM

Welcome Aboard!!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Welcome to the forum from central Florida. Lake Wales, aka Hell.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

A new AC compressor is not. 2000 dollar repair. The quote must include other parts of the AC system, like the evaporator or condenser which can develop pinhole leaks or restrictions over time. You will likely get better long term performance with the additional part replacement, but if it still cools at highway speed a bit, it sounds to me that unless those other parts have a confirmed massive leak, they are not critical at this time.

Alot of that $2k is labor.

Sounds like you have a leak and possibly a compressor with worn out seals.

I would get the system recharged and see how well it cools first and how long it continues to cool on that recharge. The ability of the AC system to function as designed depends on the mechanical health of the compressor, the level of refrigerant in the system, and how serious the leak is if there is one.

Recharge first then reevaluate.

Unless there is a massive leak in s component, they often will only develop restrictions if the compressor internally self destructs and sends shrapnel through out the system. Your compressor is still functioning so I doubt that is an issue in your case.

Please keep us informed.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:30 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes! Thank you Derf, for the advice. I'll discuss it with my new mechanic next week and maybe he'll think I know things If he seems trustworthy as I have been hearing he is, I'll also have him give it a good checking over before I decide if I want something newer or can get many more miles out of this one. I hear I should get a lot more from a Honda engine. It was interesting to read about the '07 Vues being the last of that engine. I don't know about everyone else, but I liked Saturn so much that I was blindsided by their bankruptcy. Now that I've read the story, it would seem the company's poor decisions to take a good thing and change how it was made might have been their downfall.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

New mechanic? Oy.

Ask him the results of the sniffer diagnostic test and how he knows what other parts need replacing. Be polite about it, as you are trying to learn.

Many compressor manufacturers now require evidence of a system flush being performed prior to installation. He may not be confident he can do that with your current other parts. .This is likely because a partially restricted system makes a compressor work too hard and will shorten its life, and the compressor manufacturers refuse to eat the cost of a warranty replacement caused by something other than normal use of their compressor.

Read up on the internet about how a car's AC system works, and the approach to repairing it. You'll be glad you did and it will show that you do know what he is talking about, not just look that way.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

GM began to slit Saturn's throat a decade before the GM bankruptcy. They took a great concept, gutted it, and ran it into the ground with everything else.

Quick Reply: New to forum.