New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Keys for 08 vue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Question Keys for 08 vue

When I bought my 08 Vue last week the dealer said there was only one key but it does not require a chip key so it will be cheap to have a key made. I was told by the Walmart service person that the Vue does require a chip key. Walmart charges $65 now ( was $35 about two years ago). They have a blank for every 08 Saturn but the Vue. Anybody know if one of the other models key will work. Is it a chip key? Is it true that if you attempt to use a non chip key that it activates a kill switch and a reset can only be done at a dealer.
Dealers charge several hundred dollars for a chip key. Any ideas on a cheaper solution?

Old 12-27-2015, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

I owned a 2008 Vue, and it IS a programmable key, as we lost one and had to replace it. and therefore learned the process. I had to do something like put into ignition, turn to run, wait at least 10 seconds for the car's security to recognize a non-programmed key that is in a state ready to be programmed, then download the info to brand it as a valid key for THAT vehicle. Then turn to OFF. Then crank and start the car. Referred to a a "Learn" key, I think.

Yes that is damn expensive for a programmable key. Several hundred seems excessive. Shop around. The only thing I can think of is that it requires some parameter unique to your vehicle (VIN, perhaps) to become a valid key as far as the security system goes, and therefore some of the cost is in that pre programming step.

I do not recommend putting a no chip key in the ignition, as there is nothing to gain and much to lose ($$) if it locks down the security system entirely. I also doubt the other model keys would work, since it would've been much cheaper for GM to use a universal design across he line. 2008 was the 1st year for the redesigned Vue, and since it was based off an Opel model, it may have very well inherited a slightly different security system flavor.

I fear your best option is to bite the bullet and shop around, drive to the dealer and bite the bullet. Most parts depts will give you a 10-15% discount off list price if you're polite about asking for "some help" on the price.....There should be no addl labor costs UNLESS they are waiting for you to arrive before pre programming. Be sure to ask for the "total cost out the door" when shopping around

Old 12-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Default 08 vue keys

Thanks for the info.Guess I will go shoppping. Keys are listed of EBAY for as low as $9 but they are uncut. I did find the infor on programming a key and you are right. It is done in the car as long as you have one key for the source.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Forgot about the source key part. Sorry. It's been many years.