New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

I'm new...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

welcomeness

Old 05-18-2013, 07:28 AM

Good morning and I too have no idea what to use. I do play with older model cars and have run accross similar problems with windshield visors fastened to the roof with plastic gizmo's . And have found that the only way to deal with them was to scrounge through the pick a part yards until I found a visor that either had a plastic gizmo that would work or a metal one which also works only better. And then have it recovered.

And while I enjoy my Saturn and to some extent exist in wonder at the benefits of the plastic pieces that make up the car and appreciate the lack of rust as a problem as the car ages. Those plastic pieces have had their own problems as time has passed and have become a unique source of frustration as they have dried up, become brittle and turned into plastic shrapnel when tounched or any attempt to remove them for repair has taken place. At least in those other cars I can or have found a way to repair problems caused by age and poor performance on parts that were not designed to last past the time the warranty ran out. And 40 years later need a repair. On those dang Saturn Plasitc bits and pieces once they reach a certain age just seem to turn into non-repairable splinters that nothing seems to be able to affect them as a viable repair tool.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Default Visor Repair

Thanks Derf for the welcome, and uncljohn for your response. I've resigned myself to uncljohn's suggestion since I've found that unless I can spray a release agent around the portion that plastic piece fit on any attempt to re-install the visor pin will spread the piece to the point that it will separate again. I've already recovered the two visors and believe the facility broke it during their recovering- I can't prove it as it's been a few months since I had the work done but it fell apart while trying to put the screw in. I believe if I can find a salvaged one than I'll have the piece that's been re-covered put on that piece. I'll be out the cost of the salvage part is it. What a waste. I've tried re-gluing it with a different product and then attempting to insert the visor pin through the plastic again only to see it fall apart- it's too much stress on it. Unless I can spray a release agent that will not allow the adhesive of the plastic to bond to it that is my only option. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Regards-
Arnold