New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Hey Y'all

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:37 AM

Yep, they bought several thousand acres and fenced it. My son worked there for a short period of time. He was pouring liquid into blasting caps. Didn't much like it and got a call from Walmart. Less money, but much safer job. About 4 months after he quit, they had their first explosion in over 20 years. Killed one dude and injured two others. That was the area my son worked in. One static spark was all it took to set things off.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 AM

RJ, you SO did not go there!!! When I do find the Saturn (note sig line, currently hunting) and bring it home, I will have the powers-that-be who know how do put up pics help me. Just for that crack, you can be a Bears fan for the season.

Rube, YIKES good thing your son quit! That's some scary stuff. As much as I like my paycheck, I've quit an unsafe job in the past too without another place to go.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Ginny ..... If I would to be a football fan the Vikes would be the team. I gave up long ago, and now it doesn't matter to me at all. If I had to choose any team in the Black and Blue would do.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:16 PM

Ginny welcome to The Saturn Forum, looks like you'll fit in here just fine. Thanks for doing an intro and a signature. That signature helps the old old guys Rube and Derf make it from one end to the other. When you do find your Saturn post pictures then. 2000-2002 Saturn S series are great cars, so there is no reason not to search for them. I've had a bunch, but not nearly as many as RjION. I like the sw2cam's the best. That would be a Saturn SW2. Twin cam wagon. They handle the best because of front to real weight balance. The back end is huge for such a little wagon. They did not build SW's in 91 or 92. They did not build them in 2002, and very very few in 2001. The 2000-2002 are my favorite years for Saturn's. I do like the first gens. 96-99 the least. The 95 is cool because it has the 94 body and the 96 dash. I have been looking for a very nice 2007 ION3 2.4L sedan to go with my 2007 ION3 2.4L Quad Coupe.

Any way be sure to include 2000-2002 SW's, SL's, and SC's in your search. I like the TwinCams for the added power and standard equipment.

Rube things that go boom is not an area I want to be in so I'd be go e myself. Goalie buying your sis a Saturn, what's the matter with you?

Last edited by sw2cam; 10-22-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 PM

Old guys??? Heck, I'd be willing to bet I'm no older than you and Rj. I'm not too sure about derf and I KNOW I'm not as old as Unc! LMAO

Old 10-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

I'm younger than all you old farts. Get real.

I rode in an SW1 in the mid nineties. The driver put his foot down to pass a car. The engine downshifted, revved a whole mess, and we went nowhere,

That was with three passengers and no cargo.

If you go wagon go SW2 -- it can only be better than my experience and Rj and SW2 have owned them

Old 10-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the wagon info. I think I read somewhere that in 2000 or 2001 they changed to a plastic intake? My personal experience with that is in my Exploder, and they are bad to get cracks over time (Exploder has permanent check engine light on due to it, but still runs well, hates cold weather tho!) and they are a booger to replace. What say y'all?

RJ, I'm originally from MN, so I am required to bleed purple. Even though we've been here almost 23 years, that hasn't changed. Good, bad or ugly - and it's been lotsa ugly! - the Vikes are my boys.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 PM

This may help the OP as well, but im sure this was in my intro thread a long time ago.

My parents have sworn by Saturn since they first got their 97, lightly used, off the lot in 97. After that they went back and got a 94. Not only were the cars good, that dealership did more then take care of my parents through the start of the journey. All on a first name basis, would call just to see how we were doing. All that shenanigans.
In 2003, my mom bought an Ion-1 off the lot. The car was basically a lemon, but she refused to swap it out, and most of the work that was needed was free for us. They actually had a few service bulletins out back in 03 because of my moms Ion (and im sure others had issues, although I have the stack of paperwork to back me up). The 94 went to my uncle, and the 03 and 97 came to Louisiana with us when we moved here. A cop actually hit my dad in the 97 and it was totaled. That led to them getting a 04 Vue. My grandparents gave my mom an 02 oldsmobile intrigue, so that led to me now driving the 03 Ion. Mom is still a but upset she is no longer driving a Saturn, but she knows she has visitation rights...lmao
anyway, I picked up the 06 redline because I wanted speed and we all know we cant tune an 03, blah blah blah.
My sister started driving school, so I figured, hey, mom gave me a car, and yes, I worked my **** off to get the second one, but why not get my sister a car to help mom out. After months of looking, I found the 92 sl1 on craigslist. The guy wanted like 800 for it because it had some issued. I went to look at it, and he told me his grandfather was the original owner. Two owner car, not bad, had the original sale paper work in the glove box too, found that crazy. But anyways, it drove ok, needs tires, all the normal chit. The guy thought it had a blown head gasket because the white smoke was pouring out the exhaust and no power at all. He told me, I just want the thing gone, its either going to you or the junk yard, 200 will take it home.
I told him if it really needs a head gasket, ill do 150 and that's it. So I bought it for 150. And guess what? compression test checked out. All it needed was a tune up. Car is not on the road yet because my sister doesn't have her license, but I do own it. It has about 140ish thousand on it, not sure because the odometer stopped working at 70k.
To get to the point because no one is gonna read all this, if my parents felt safe enough to let me drive a Saturn, they will feel safe enough to let my sister drive one as well. Now, I really wanted her in an Ion, but I just couldn't afford that. The car is SUPER clean for being a 92. Ill have to get pictures eventually.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:13 PM

And by the way guys, for everyone who is fighting over who is oldest, can I take the trophy as youngest??? XD

Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

If your grandparents are still with us -- and I hope they are -- you've got a shot....

Just remember to tell your sister that the 92's don't have a front passenger airbag so she needs to drive SAFELY. I know because my first Satty was a 92 SL2

Quick Reply: Hey Y'all