New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Help ac/fan

Old 04-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Default Help ac/fan

I have been having trouble with my ac the compressor and fan will not come on unless i jump the pressure switch but when i plug it into the switch nothing (the p switch is new ..im curious if a bad expansion valve would cause this to happen .any help would be appreciated also there is a tiny white box thing in the wiring between the ac comp. And the fan wiring .it appears to have the green comp wire passing through and a black wire cut and somehow attached inside its a white box shape and opens like a small treasure chest .and appears to have tiny diodes in it .is this some kind of fusible link any ideas would help also I always check my damn oil lol ? By the way its a 93 saturn sl2 thanks in advance

Old 05-01-2019, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe your system is just low enough on pressure that you are tripping the low pressure switch.

Easiest way to figure if that is a possibility is to hook up an AC gauge set and find out.

If you don't have a gauge set you can either do loan a tool or purchase a can of refrigerant that comes with a low side gauge inline with the outlet, and hook up to the low side to measure.

I believe the low pressure cutoff kicks in around 35 to 40 psi.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 PM

I did all that I even emptied vacuumed and refilled it all the relays are good .when i turn it on just nothing no fan no compressor but the fan will turn on when at high temp to cool it down .im stumped i did buy a new expansion valve but not sure if thats really the issue .when I first tried it at the beginning of the season i got warm air so I decided to top it off and when I hooked up it was full .its just the compressor and fan wont come on unless i jump the pressure switch with a paper clip ? Then they come on ?

Old 05-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Ok. Not messing with you. Maybe you are overpressure, not low, and the new hi cut off switch is triggered--- if it is not AC Delco may have a different set point.

Don't really see how that got damaged in the first place, unless when you took the battery off and the AC was running, there was a huge back pressure pulse the tripped the high switch. But it should have reset unless the system pressure is now in fact high enough to trip the high switch or it was truly trashed. Like I said the new sensor may have a different high set point. What are your high and low side readings?

Old 05-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Hmmm interesting thought I did not pull the battery or anything while it was on lol i just jad gone to top it off for the warm weather and it was already full so I had no need to top it off.thats when I realized the compressor and fan did not come on at all and after a richpin video i saw that I can turn them on buy jumping the switch (wire side) so i emptied the system and vacuumed it out for a while it held pressure at i believe zero on high and low side .i did get an exspansion valve but the job looks to be quite a headache but im just confused as to whats going on .and the switch is ac delco .it just odd to me maybe ill give it all a good going over this weekend and a longer vav time ..and see what happens

Old 05-09-2019, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry if I misunderstood one of your earlier posts. You just indicated you were able to pull a vacuum on it. How do you know that it held? Are you monitoring the pressure with the actual vacuum unit? I'm not challenging you. I'm just trying to understand exactly what you have done to date.

don't worry in your last response did you indicate that you have refilled the system with refrigerant. If there is no refrigerant the low pressure switch will be activated and the compressor clutch will not kick in. The Schrader valves, if not worked frequently tend to get gunked up such that when you put a gauge set on them they do not always fully close when you remove the gauges. So you can hook up your gauges and read 230 high side 80 low side but when you remove hoses one of the valves may not close correctly and everything will leak out. When you have something pulling a vacuum at the valves are held open and everything seems fine. It's if they don't completely close that causes a problem and you can't tell unless your system is mysteriously empty and or you hear missing after you disconnect your gauge set.

But again, you have not indicated that you re added refrigerant to the system after pulling a vacuum? That is why I asked you to put the gauges back on let's see what the reading is now. The system is likely overcharged or has no refrigerant in it for a reason yet to be determined.

apologies for goofy words in this post that are sound-alikes but I am dictating this to my phone and I do not have my reading glasses so I really don't know what it is that's being typed

Last edited by derf; 05-21-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Lol no problem I appreciate your help and the time u are taking to help me .I have a vacuum and manifold I emptied and ran a vacuum for maybe an hour or less ( perhaps not long enough) after running I closed the valves on the manifold and waited and the needles did not move from 0 then I filled and the meter on the pro ac says full its very strange it worked great last summer super cold now this year just nothing lol .and as i mentioned it was full when I went to top it off this year so no leaks ? Im just baffled

Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

If you haven't measured the hi and low side pressures with a gauge set, you have no idea the degree to which your system is charged.
If the compressor is not running, you can easily build up enough local pressure to read "full" on one of those dopey low side gauges that come with the refrigerant cans.

If you want AC, go do a loan a tool at autozone or similar for an AC gauge set.
Report the pressures you read with the gauges hooked up and the compressor NOT running
AND
the pressures you read with the gauges hooked up and the compressor running by jumping the pressure switch.
My guess is it is either very high or very low.

Very high is dangerous to you and damaging to the seals in the system.
Very low is ... well.. very low.

I've tried to be helpful.
I believe I've been patient.
I've indicated the next step in diagnosing your problem but you seem to be resisting trying to solve the issue you asked us for help with.
If you've never used a gauge set, just say so. It's pretty simple. We'll teach you.
Not a big deal.

So please get the loaner gauges and we'll help you from step 0.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:51 PM

No sir not at all resisting I really appreciate your help and you make valid points I just have a large family 5 kids and no matter how old they are I'm always gonna be helping one in one way or another lol .Its more a time thing with my crappy work schedule as well .I do have a gauge set and I ran vacuum on it but not for long and it just held after but my next test was to do exactly what u just said .I just haven't had time to do it It was gonn be this weekend but sat was tattoo day for the wife all day and sun was replace my bathroom faucet that exploded allover my bathroom the othe other day and cut the overgrown grass that I cant seem to get to because it keeps raining during the week is pretty sucky just because of work.so not resisting just a bit busy and I do appreciate the help and ideas you are giving me .I really love this car I almost have it back to normal all the suspension has been done new tires new mounts (all four). new radio speakers and a few of the pulleys and pulley components I have been having rattling issues and that's a whole other thing perhaps another thread lol.I even redid the ac and it was great until this year and this odd problem .I also finally got the mile counter replaced although it reads 100 thousand my guess is that its well over 200 thousand the counter has been broken since I bought the car in late 2012. but I do check my damn oil tune it up and take care of it .because its been such a great car.and I am even considering buying a new motor or an old one and rebuilding it .My only problem with that is I have some experience with breaking down motors and redoing things but perhaps not enough to rebuild but I do think I can do it just gotta get to it. but I do appreciate you all trying to help me out. I will let you know what happens when I do the pressure check which I was gonna do tomorrow but my oldest sons thermostat housing just cracked and hes parked in my drive lol hes waiting the metal one now instead of the cheap *** plastic lol

Old 05-21-2019, 07:48 AM

Why not have your son cut the grass if you're going to be repairing his car? My son doesn't like getting his hands dirty, so anytime I work on his car, he has to pay me. Sometimes that payment is mowing the lawn. Most of the time it's either cash or beer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help ac/fan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.