New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Hello from Maine

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Default Hello from Maine

I just wanted to take a moment to say hello and introduce myself.

I won a 2002 Saturn SL2, and although it was never my car of choice to purchase, it has worked out well for me. I bought it new in 2002 when I received an offer to get out of my previous lease early and forfeit penalties by purchasing new. Though I wanted a truck, the Saturn was my best option at the time. It has not disappointed me! It is still running strong at as it gets ready to turn 113K miles and the repairs have not been too bad.

I have to be frank and say that I think dissolving Saturn was one of the worst ideas that ever happened. I just replaced my IAC valve this past weekend and as I put the receipts in my Saturn folder, came across the original window sticker 27 city 38 Hwy! Despite whatever political side we take, etc, I cannot believe the powers that be decided this was a good idea. To take something that just makes sense and dissolve it is crazy. Still, it makes perfect sense when considering the way politics run these days.

At any rate, it's good to be here, and I look forward to being part of the community.

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:34 AM

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to shoot the breeze or ask questions. There are many knowledgeable people here to keep your Saturn on the road.

And now, a word from the mighty Derf.....

Old 06-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed. The other GM divisions were complaining that Saturn techs got to go to Saturn School in Spring Hill and actually LEARN about the vehicles they were working on (theory, complex troubleshooting, etc).

GM doomed Saturn by not letting them continue the innovation of the S series.
The L series powerplant was borrowed/collaborative, they were at one point putting Honda engines in Vues, the later Vues and the Astra were rebadged Opels.

They refused to allow any major changes except the three door coupe and some body panels. When people came off lease, they were excited to see the evolution of the s series...

But it was the same car, Same engine, same hp, same same, same.

who wants the same thing?

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by derf; 06-25-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Agreed. The other GM divisions were complaining that Saturn techs got to go to Saturn School in Spring Hill and actually LEARN about the vehicles they were working on (theory, complex troubleshooting, etc).

GM doomed Saturn by not letting them continue the innovation of the S series.
The L series powerplant was borrowed/collaborative, they were at one point putting Honda engines in Vues, the later Vues and the Astra were rebadged Opels.

They refused to allow any major changes except the three door coupe and some body panels. When people came off lease, they were excited to see the evolution of the s series...

But it was the same car, Same engine, same hp, same same, same.

who wants the same thing?

Welcome to the forum.
Just backed my post...I'd be so lucky to wi a car. The "won" should've read own. Not that it matters. I agree with you all. It's too bad it didn't continue and it looks lime they've just taken backward steps in the industry since then. Yes cars that do just as well are "starting" to come out now, but it having to take over a decade hasn't helped.

Glad to be here and thanks again!

Last edited by derf; 06-25-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Hadn't known anyone who had "won" a Saturn before.

Guess I still don't.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:58 AM

I bought my car off my brother for $10. That's almost winning!