New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Grinding noise

Old 07-20-2019, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Jumper cables and a marine battery that drains in 5 cranks?

We would love to help you but you need to come to terms with the fact this is not a BOAT.
Marine batteries are internally different than car batteries because they NEED TO BE.
Per Andy, I use nothing smaller than 4 gauge and all my rides are 4 cyls. Lets you add a bit of length and still have enough current to start the car.

On jump starting -- I've purchased a Lithium Ion "jump box" == Li brick in a plastic case with digital readout and buttons that I have used to jump the 95 SC2 white car to life with ease. The battery was so dead the DVM was actually charging it while putting a V across the load

Old 07-20-2019, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, I'm out as far as advice goes until you put it back together as a car.
At which time I will be more than happy to assist you.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:52 PM
Default grinding noise

Originally Posted by derf
Jumper cables and a marine battery that drains in 5 cranks?

We would love to help you but you need to come to terms with the fact this is not a BOAT.
Marine batteries are internally different than car batteries because they NEED TO BE.
Per Andy, I use nothing smaller than 4 gauge and all my rides are 4 cyls. Lets you add a bit of length and still have enough current to start the car.

On jump starting -- I've purchased a Lithium Ion "jump box" == Li brick in a plastic case with digital readout and buttons that I have used to jump the 95 SC2 white car to life with ease. The battery was so dead the DVM was actually charging it while putting a V across the load
" We would love to help you but you need to come to terms with the fact this is not a BOAT " Thought that was pretty funny lol.
That battery thing, I think we talked about that earlier, Your right about the marine battery 3 to 5 cranks and that's it and the crank speed is bad too. I put a new battery into it today and it cranks like it should. The problem I'm trying to figure out is why do all the dash lights flicker on and off, except the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light. My keyless entry doesn't work either and I did go and buy a new battery for it so I could be sure. Not sure if the BCM can be tested off the car, but Monday I'm going to find out. For now that's about it. Thank-You for the help I do appreciate it. Let you know when I find out something

Old 07-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Question grinding noise

Look man, I haven't done anything to you. Why are you treating me like this ? I can't even get you to show me what you claim I did. I'm not looking for advice from you anymore, Just an explanation. And that is probably not going to happen. Have a good one, later

Old 07-29-2019, 08:19 AM

Hey Pete, I'm not sure if the BCM can be tested off the car, but THINK it can be. Just call your local Advance, Autozone or O'Reilly and ask them. I seem to think that I read somewhere not too long ago about someone having had a BCM tested at one of the chain stores. The problem is I've had 2 brain surgeries and can't remember squat. I'm a member of SEVERAL different car and motorcycle forums and for the life of me can't remember which one I was on. Anyway, a simple phone call would do the trick and might save you some time and frustration. Personally, being the cheap bastard that I am, I'd got to a junkyard and find a car with as much of the same features as mine and pull the BCM and try it. I did that with a Diamante wagon I had years ago. BCM took a dump and I went to a junkyard and yanked one out of a sedan. I was told it wouldn't work, but I proved the naysayers wrong by putting it in and starting the car right up. I was running great until the guy I sold it to step-daughter centered an oak tree up with the front bumper. Bottom line is you ain't going to know until you try, right?

Old 07-30-2019, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Sir,

It is extremely difficult to troubleshoot issues with no start, no dash lights, slow rotations when we're assuming at a minimum you have a car battery in the car or at least are jumping it from a car battery.
We're here to help -- myself included --but please consider how you would take a response to a statement "not enough power is getting to anything" with -- "I'm using a marine battery that can't even spin the engine 6 times."

I used to spend hours more on this forum than I do now, trying to help guide people that were having issues, but would either not give us enough info upfront to figure out what is going on and/or would keep leaking important forgotten details as we tried to diag their vehicles. If you rebuild engines and understand compression, we assume your knowledge level is sufficient that you would not try to run your car off a battery that cannot possibly supply enough current to start your car.

But you don't tell us up front that's what you're doing --- there's no way to troubleshoot why your can't start when I don't know you have it hooked to the wrong and insufficient battery.
Why do the dash lights do that or not do that? Can't say with a marine battery in there. There's no way to answer that.
Already speculated car won't start b c nothing is likely getting enough power.
--------------------
Asked you if it had spark. Hadn't checked, still haven't answered the question
Asked how you measured compression on a slow rotating engine that could only do 5 cranks --- still haven't answered the question

Andy asked if you had a 90 day warranty -- never answered
Andy, then I pointed out that an engine with that low a compression (which we don't know is correct if you can only get 5 cranks per measurement) is not something to waste time on if that is really the true compression (which I doubt)

Have you redone the compression test with the new battery?
Do you have spark?

There is nowhere for us to go if you don't answer questions like "do you have spark?" Not knowing what this means is one thing; we teach people all the time.
Ignoring troubleshooting questions gets you ignored pretty quickly anywhere you go.

So until you answer what was asked of you, don't stand outside in the rain with no umbrella and say it's my fault.

What did you do to get "treated like this"? NOTHING.
You did nothing,--- that's the problem.
If you don't answer fundamental troubleshooting questions, people simply stop asking. Not sure where the disconnect is.

Update: That's 11 min of my life I will never get back.......

Last edited by derf; 07-30-2019 at 06:08 AM.