New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 11:57 AM
Default Dashcam

Hi Everyone, I have a question. I have a 2009 Saturn Aura and I’m trying to install
Hardwire a dash cam what fuse would be great. The hardware only has two wires.
Red and black. I know the black is ground and red is power, but which fuse should it go ? Thank You folks

Hardwire

Old 10-20-2023, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

That seems kind of bizarre, because most dash cams require a hot feed that is always on and a hot feed for when the ignition is in the on position only.

First one above is for when the vehicle is off but you want to record anything that happens that triggers the camera to record.

Second one above is for using the camera to record things going on while the vehicle is running or shall I say in the on position.

You need to check the directions for the device itself to find out which hot lead type it requires. This will directly influence which fuse you patch into.

As far as finding a fuse, check the owner's manual for the vehicle.

Check the vehicle owner's manual.
In addition to the fuses that are present and listed in the fuse box layout, there are usually unused slots in the fuse panel.

I believe that if it says not used, there will be no current running to it irrespective of key position.

If it says unused, that usually means there is current going to that slot, but you need to put a fuse in in order to complete the circuit. Then you put a add a fuse thingy in place to neatly patch in your wiring.

As for which unused slots are always hot and which are hot only when the key is on, that is for you and your voltmeter to determine based on which one you end up needing.

Old 10-20-2023, 12:39 PM
Default Dashcam

Originally Posted by baler34
Hi Everyone, I have a question. I have a 2009 Saturn Aura and I’m trying to install
Hardwire a dash cam what fuse would be great. The hardware only has two wires.
Red and black. I know the black is ground and red is power, but which fuse should it go ? Thank You folks

Hardwire
what I want to do is I don’t want to use cigarette lighter. I don’t need it to record while off thank You