Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

Exhaust system modifications, one mans opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Default Exhaust system modifications, one mans opinion.

Exhaust systems in different parts of the country are maintenance items. The may have a finite life span and when they are in failure mode can cause performance, noise and smog requirement related problems.
Where they have a life span and are in failure mode the incentive to add additional money to upgrade or modify the exhaust system is strong.
When the question arises, I do not intend to say that the factory unit is the best thing around. What I am saying on the whole, is exhaust system modifications are generally quite expensive and for my money the single biggest LEAST cost effective way to improve performance.
Big V8 engines can benefit form a dual exhaust.
Headers of any type for any engine are by in large a waste of money. When purchased for a street engine. Unless purchased for a specific reason that cost justifies them. Engine change, nothing else fits is the best one.
Or the exhaust manifold is so poor, anything else can be better.
A performance header is generally designed to be a performance improvement at given RPM and RPM range conditions. Street RPM is rarely ever that range and the range is provided by interference with service points on the car, suspension, starter, and multiple other areas. A street header in general provides little if any performance but usually is accompanied by service problems. Not to mention a generally short life span.
A performance header is very expensive as are really good headers. They generally provide little to no street related performance improvements. Cheap headers are that, maintenance issues and still way too expensive.
I have regretted any header installation I have ever done.
High Flow Catalytic converters, I am for them. They generally cost the same or less than OEM and satisfy smog.
Cat back;
On a big V8 a dual cat back can be beneficial and not that much more expensive. For small engines, 'specially those with single exhaust, the cost of installing rarely = performance gained.
An H or Y pipe is worth the expenditure when running duals and even with factory manifolds, assuming a V type engine or split manifold with an inline engine.
I can think of any number of ways to improve the performance of an engine that does not include the expense of an extremely modified exhaust. Using the money NOT spent modifying an exhaust system and have change left over AND getting a measurable increase in peformance.
Which generally is not needed until the engine is capable of developing some extremely high horsepower and spinning gawd awful high rpm.
But that is just my opinion.
For what it is worth.

Last edited by uncljohn; 08-04-2010 at 07:02 AM.