General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MISaturn
I tried to clean the connections and then use dielectric grease on them. I did this on the battery connections and the fuses. After reading some of the other posts, I believe that it may be my starter on the way out. It starts right up when it does decide to start. The strange thing is that when it does not, it makes no noise or effort as though it is trying to start at all. I read a few other posts that had nearly an identical issue as I have with the advice of replacing the starter. I just wanted to be sure that was the issue before I dropped the money (and time replacing it) on the new starter motor.

If you can put the front of the car up on jackstands next time it doesn't want to start, you can check with an inexpensive test light if the starter is the problem. Clip the test light to a good ground and check for power on the starters main power lead (the big cable that goes to the battery). You should always have power there. Then, have someone else turn the key to the "start" position (BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL IN CASE THE CAR DOES DECIDE TO START!!!) and check for power at the "s" terminal of the solenoid. If the test light lights up on the solenoid and the starter doesn't engage then you know your starter is dead!! If the test light doesn't light up, then the problem is elsewhere .... ignition switch, neutral safety switch or clutch switch, etc, etc