General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Valve cover gasket set not fitting

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Default Valve cover gasket set not fitting

I ordered and received a new gasket set from Fel Pro for a Saturn SC2 coupe with a 1.9 DOHC. Took the valve cover off, cleaned everything up and ran into an issue when I went to install the new gasket set. The perimeter gasket fit, but the spark plug well gasket did not. It's definitely too large. Is this a common issue or did I screw something up?

Old 04-27-2020, 07:28 AM

Maybe Fel-Pro screwed up and put one for the SOHC in the wrong box? IDK, I never had to replace the valve cover gasket on my SC1 or SC2. Maybe go to youtube and look up a guy named richpin. He does a LOT of great videos on the Saturns.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:48 AM

I did a youtube search and didn't find one for richpin, but this is a very good video showing how to replace the DOHC valve cover gasket. This guy ran into the same problem you did with the spark plug gaskets not fitting and they were NOT the correct size. He went to Autozone and took the old one with him and they had the right Felpro gasket set with the correct spark plug gasket. I'm betting that's the problem you're having too. Check his video from about 9:50 to 12:30 minute marks and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Fel-Pro is notorious for putting out bad valve gasket sets for the DOHC. Usually it is the perimeter gasket that is 3 in too long when you put it in properly without stretching it. Never heard of the spark plug ones being the wrong size. Apparently they fell pro ones are either a perfect set or completely screwed up and there is no way to predict.

I would return it in its entirety and get an ACDelco. They just plain fit. The problem is that they don't come with the plastic bushings where the screws attach. I think I got those through RockAuto and the brand was MAHLE.

That was my solution.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
I did a youtube search and didn't find one for richpin, but this is a very good video showing how to replace the DOHC valve cover gasket. This guy ran into the same problem you did with the spark plug gaskets not fitting and they were NOT the correct size. He went to Autozone and took the old one with him and they had the right Felpro gasket set with the correct spark plug gasket. I'm betting that's the problem you're having too. Check his video from about 9:50 to 12:30 minute marks and you'll see what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqEZ16eIftY
Yep, they gave me the wrong gaskets. Apparently the gaskets for a 99 are different than a 97. All fixed now, thanks for the help everyone.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:12 AM

You're welcome. Thanks for getting back to us. A LOT of people come here and ask for help and never return to let any of us know if what we've suggested worked out for them or not. Derf takes care of those people in his way. Stick around and become part of the gang.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brslk
Yep, they gave me the wrong gaskets. Apparently the gaskets for a 99 are different than a 97. All fixed now, thanks for the help everyone.
Yes they are.