General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

thermostat bolt, coolant leak, and squealing noise when ac is on

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Default thermostat bolt, coolant leak, and squealing noise when ac is on

Alright so i have a 93 saturn sl1 and the bottom bolt to my thermostat housing wont come loose. Any tips? Also i just changed out my coolant reservior and still my car leaks coolant. Its not the radiator. What could it be? And i just got my ac fixed finally after 10 years of not using it i had it reharged and vacuumed out but now when i turn it on and my car is idle or im stopped it makes a squealing noise. I changed my serpentin belt cuz it was already worn thinking it was that. But it still makes noise what could it be?
Thanks for the help

Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

OK - apparently more than one problem here ...

1) Where is the coolant leaking from? I realize you may not be able to see exactly where, but maybe we can narrow down the possibilities.

2) Love those stuck bolts. Get a six-point socket, and use an impact gun set on LOW pressure to gently back the bolt out. Please note, there is a possibility you may shear the bolt if you are not very gentle here, which will result in you having to drill the bolt and use an easy-out. Might even have to do a helicoil installation.

3) You say something is "squealing" ?? You also mention you recently replaced the serpentine belt. Might be the belt (improper tension - slipping on the pulleys), could be a defective tensioner (bad bearing), or possibly the A/C compressor clutch. Hard to tell from this distance

Old 09-03-2011, 11:05 PM

The coolant leak is coming from under the engine. Seems like its dripping from the pullys but i'm not quit sure. I followed the drip spots and it leads around the pullys. It's not coming from the radiator or the overflow. Could it be from my water pump going bad?

Is it possible to use liquid wrench to loosen that bolt?? I been researching online and it seems that could be a possibility.

How would I be able to fix the tension for the belt?

Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 PM

"How would I be able to fix the tension for the belt?"

Take if off and replace it.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

the tensioner that is

unless the squealing is coming from your possibly bad water pump

hold a short section of heater hose to your ear and use the other end like a stethoscope to locate the source of your squeal

Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

I agree - it seems like the water pump has failed. The coolant leaking out around the shaft of the pump is getting on the belt, allowing it to slip/squeal. Loss of coolant will cause the engine to run hot. Fix the water pump first, and let's see where we are ....

Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM

alright i'll get to right to it thanks guys

Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 AM

I'd soak the bolt in some kind of rust penetrating oil, such as the Liquid Wrench. You might actually try to tighten it some before trying to back it out. If that doesn't work, I'd try heating it with a propane torch.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Rubehayseed and Oceonarcher gave good advice, some times the only way to deal with these things.
A little heat goes a long way towards freeing things up. I have used WD-30 in a spray can (30 or 40, don't remember) to spray hot fasteners once heated. It does make a difference but even better is BeesWax. Available in hardware stores or home improvement. It does not burn and will follow hot threads better because of that. Get something hot enough to melt the beeswax when touched and the melted material will work it's way in.
I have used a small butane torch for things of that nature.
Break it off you are screwed.
The tensioner for the serpantine belt can cause all kinds of squealing problems when it hits failure. If you have to change the water pump and it sounds like you do, buy a tensioner along with it and change it all when they are apart. Water pumps seem to last some where around 150,000 miles or so as a rule of thumb on these things. 2 to 3 times longer than they used to when mounted on the front of the engine. But 2 to 3 times more expensive.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

use pb blaster