General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Sway bar

Old 03-23-2008, 09:18 PM

Hi everyone.I am new here... I have a question that I was hoping that someone would have some insight on. I drive a 4 door Saturn Ion-1. When it is cold outside, there's a bit of rattling that can dully be heard. When I took my vehicle in for inspection, they mentioned that they could hear a sound too I might need a new sway bar which I must admit, I don't really even fully comprehend what it is. After the vehicle warms up the noise completely disappears. Is a sway bar absolutely necessary? The noise isn't persistent and could in fact be just the engine warming up. Even when it's there, it's extremely dull and doesn't effect the performance of my ride at all.Is it a critical issue for the sway bar to be replaced? Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-23-2008, 10:40 PM

You asked this same question on another website, and what I saw from the first reply I'd have to agree. I'd say the critical issue would to go find out just what you were told. I think you lost something in the translation or the use of words.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 PM

Yeah I did, I apologize for that. I am taking my car for repairs tomorrow and I wanted to ensure a quick response in case I REALLY needed to have this done immediately.

The guy at the desk told me that the sway bar needs to be replaced, not just a part of it so I am guessing that if there was a breakdown in communication that it was between the mechanic and the guy that works at the desk who told me.

My car drives fine and I just wanted to be sure that I am not neglecting a SUPER important upgrade that will make my car explode if not fixed in the next 30 days. I have to drive some kids to New Jersey in about two weeks and I wanted to be sure that my car is safe.