General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Stumbles/hesitates on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Banned
Default Stumbles/hesitates on acceleration

Hi, I just bought a 2001 Saturn SL2 about a month ago. Almost immediately the code P0410 popped up and it turned out to be a bad air pump. I changed that and had no problems for a couple of weeks. Then just recently I came home from work and it started to idle rough and the MIL was blinking. The only code it gave me was random cylinder misfire so I researched a little and replaced the ignition module, coils, wires, and plugs. That fixed the problem but now I have a new problem which brings me to why I need help now.

The engine idles perfectly now (maybe a little high) but when I accelerate it hesitates for a split second and then lunges forward. I've scanned for codes and it's not giving me anything! I checked the gap on the plugs and made sure they were at .040, they are. It even died trying to take off from a red light once (embarrassing). I don't know where to go from here, can someone help?

Last edited by sw2cam; 11-30-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Banned

I know it's a little soon, you only having the car a month, but has your effective mileage dropped since you started having this problem?

Old 11-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Banned

I'm sorry I couldn't tell. I was in the process of measuring how many miles I would get each fill up but I never made it through a whole tank of gas before I had another problem.

I just changed the ECT sensor with no change in performance. I checked the TPS with a voltmeter and it seems fine.

I was thinking maybe a clogged fuel filter but it has good power at high RPM's so I don't know. It seems to only hesitate after the engine has already warmed up, whatever that means...

Old 08-12-2015, 05:45 AM

Same problem here, I'm going to make a suggestion..

I'm going to check my tranny solenoids, probably the ordeal.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:47 AM

starting to have that very same problem with my Ion and the mileage is the same as it always has been,I am going to replace the TPS cause that is what records throttle movement for the ECU Cat monitor code is set for a trouble code but performance has not suffered so I don't expect that for my problem

Old 08-23-2015, 09:54 AM

Man, I figured out what was with mine.. Looked at my spark plug, cracked right in half (heat? maybe..) anyway, changed plug and wires, problem gone, but due to running rich for a while I think my converter is now messed.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

you'd be surprised how much abuse these cats can take......

Plugs were stock NGK's?

Should be. If they are not, swap them in. No fancy Iridium/Platinum BS; the S cars don't like them. Plain old copper plugs -- change every 36K.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:16 PM

Funny you mentioned that, they were actually Champion Platinum's.

Garbage, I know. To be honest, I've never seen BKRSE-11 in my local auto stores. (Canadian tire, PartSource, etc I'm guessing either have to get ordered online or in-store.

Would Champion Copper's be sufficient? I've been using those for a while now, no problems until I wanted to switch the plugs and wires and had no choice but to get the platinums ... Damn wal-mart...

Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Any real parts store will order you NGK plugs if they have a distributor that carries them. Check price there, but last (see below)

Also, find an online price (try Amazon), then call a local GM dealership and tell you what you need n get a price. I'll buy stuff like that as part of an Amazon order over $35 to make it free

Then compare and see what what's most economical. You do need to use the right temperature plugs for these S car engines. They are finicky indeed between the right plugs and the waste spark ignition system......