General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Default Starting Problems

1995 SL1 Saturn Automatic....The car will start off and on. The problem is that sometimes it will only start if I play with the stick moving it back and forth with the key on the on position and try starting while moving the stick. I have already replaced the neutral switch. The battery is fine as lights and radio work...no fuses blown. After replacing the neutral switch the car started great for about 3 weeks...problem solved I thought....I am at a loss any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 AM

Well????? It could be that the mechanism that makes the switch function is worn out. It could be the new switch went bad! It could be the starter is giving you problems and needs to be replaced (I hate coincidence).
I can think of a vew approaches to solving this but
how good are you at solving electrical problems.
Such as
can you read the electrical diagram and understand how to by pass the netral start switch so you can start it in any gear?
Do you realise starting it in any gear is a safety concern but a good diagnostic.
'Cause if you can't I'm not going to mention how it can be done until I am reasonably convinced you actually know how to do it and can benifit from it, or at least realise that there are hazards involved with doing it.