General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Default Starting issues

Got a 97 SL1 and when I start it I have to turn the key over for several seconds. I changed the spark plugs 2 months ago and it hasnt had any problems. The only thing I notice is that I have to give it some gas to get it started.

Is this the beginning stages of a starter going bad???

Or is there a fuel issue? Since I have to give it gas to fully get it started.

Any help would be great...thank you!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Ever changed ECTS?

Old 10-27-2009, 05:00 PM

and connector? Buy both from your nearest Saturn dealer.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 PM

ECTS...Is this the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor??? If so yes I did change it and recently to get my gauge working again (which fixed it). Maybe 2 weeks ago. Come to think about it the starting problem has been ever since I changed the ECTS. Is there a connection??? I am new to working on cars and dont quite understand how a temperature sending unit could tie in w/ starting issues. But like I said...new to the car game. Oh and by the way I did not change the connector because the gauge checked good so I figured that was the end of it. Now im confused.... Any help??

Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

change the connector -- the voltage drop across the ECTS is read by the PCM and interpreted as the coolant temp. Corrosion on the ECTS connector will screw up that reading and usually lead to a higher voltage drop. This in turn tells the PCM that the coolant temp is much colder than it really is. In turn, the PCM richens the air/fuel mix significantly, leading to difficult starting. Quite common for the s cars.

Connector is dealer only.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Derf,

You dont think its the ECTS??? I figured it would be because I just changed it and didnt have the problem until I changed it. If it was the connector wouldnt I have had starting problems before I changed the ECTS. It just seems to make sense to me because I didnt have the problem until I changed it. I bought the 10$ ECTS from autozone. And lastnight I searched this subject and saw you once posted that the brass expensive ones from Saturn are much better. What do you think? Do you think I put in a crappy ECTS from autozone or you really think its the connector?? Thanks alot by the way. You guys really make things easier for us trying to fix our own problems...with the economy and all god knows I cant afford to take it to a mechanic. Thanks again!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

sorry -- i assumed you had put in a brass replacement -- didn't know anyone still sold the sh*t resin tipped ones....

stop by a saturn dealer and get the brass tipped replacement and the connector

Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 PM

Alright will do. Hope it works. Thanks again man!

Old 10-29-2009, 04:11 PM

Derf,

Man talk about bad luck. I went to take a look at my ECTS connector and noticed a bad fuel leak coming from the fitting of my fuel filter line. My question is could this have been caused from me giving so much gas to get her started. Maybe some over pressure issues and it busted??? So I have my nights work cut out for me. Also I took out the new ECTS to double check and it looked brass to me. The ECTS is only 2 weeks old. So i have a feeling it may be just the connector. What do you think???

Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

I think the fuel leak could indeed have been the issue.

See your PM (I responded)