General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

SL2 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Default SL2 Check Engine Light

Ok here is my question for this group. I have a 1997 Saturn SL2 and the check engine light went on, my question and please read this entire post, is what could cause this light to turn on?

Now here is what I have done, first I took the automobile to the local parts store, they put their generic scanner on it and it came back no codes. So I took it to a friend who had a bit better scanner but all his would do is engine and transmission, again his said NO CODES. SO I was on ebay and purchased a Snap On MT2500, now this unit does a wide variety of test. It went thru each of the systems.

Engine test - passed all things reported back, no codes
Transmission - passed all things reported back, no codes

ABS - error message was can not communicate with ABS system. Now from reading shop manuals and looking at automobile I know it has ABS system. So would this cause the check engine light to illuminate? I would have thought that a fault in this system would cause an ABS light to light. Maybe I am wrong. That is why I am asking this group.

SRS - Airbag disconnected passenger side. Again would this error cause the check engine light? I would have thought that it would light the AIR BAG light. But it does not. Air bag light does not illuminate or flash for any reason what so ever.

But since these two system are the only 2 that reported errors it makes me wonder if one of these are tripping up the check engine light. Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.

Have a great day.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

I would tend to agree with you

Let's start simple -- what happens if you clear out the SES light with the tool?
Does it come back on?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 AM

My Mitchels software based diagnostics, a kinda handy thing I have is sort of a multi car software version of the individual service type manuals you can by at Autozone or O'Riellys did not come up with a list of things that might trigger the check engine or MIL light as it is referred to.
It did say though that the list was extensive and to read them, you need an OBDII scan tool Tech 1 or 2. It seemed to indicate that unless the error was directly related to engine control and emissions criteria, the MIL or Check engine light might not be even lit. There apparently are 4 levels of importance attached to triggering something with the option of lighting the display or not and if the problem is intermittent and does not happen again with in 50 key starts, the error code is erased.
So I really can not help you except to say these things are about as complex as you can get and with out the right tools can be a pure bugger to diagnose.
So as a WAG comment, I'll agree with Derf.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 AM

Could it be possible that a computer/control module itself is bad?

(dosent the SES light only deal with things emissions related though)

the only reason I brought this up is because my aunts caddilac threw a light but no codes, and it turned out to be the PCM

Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 AM

First off I would like to know when you say SES since I am unfamilar with that terminology do you mean the SRS (Safety Restraint System)?

If so then No I have not been able to clear that message. And that is because I have not replaced the air bag on the passenger side yet. Was planning on doing that this comming weekend.

Now I might not have said this in my first posting but while I was online with the engine computer I did do a clear all codes on it, even though it said there was not codes. And I did the same with the transmission computer. When I tried to do a clear on the SRS computer the message would not clear and that of course was because there was no air bag connected to the passenger side. SO this weekend I am going to try that and see what happens. I did notice that when I was attempting the clear on the SRS nothing was occuring on the dash board. I would have thought that if the SRS was the culprit that running it through a clear would have maybe made the light flicker.

Now as for the scan tool I use I have the Snap On MT2500 and it has quite and extensive ability to diagnose and trouble shoot various functions on the auto. Just a little FYI.

As to the ABS it might be a culprit in this case because I have heard the relay clicking on and off and like I said for some reason the scan tool is having a problem communicating with it. I can also tell you that sometime my locking mechanism on the shift, it is an automatic transmission, will not release right away. Sometimes it takes up to a minute before it releases.

And one other thing I noticed and am not sure if it is related to anything here or not. Sometimes I have some amount of trouble getting the car to start, UNLESS I do the following, turn the key to on, wait for upto two seconds, because after like two seconds all the gages and such are now on and registering, then turn the key to start and the engine fires right up. If I try to do it before the gages turn on, then it has some amount of trouble where you might have to crank it for a bit before it start. Hope that is clear.

Thanks to all the replies so far. Have a great day.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

startup issues with 97 fuel pumps are a well known issue -- they have a fuel pressure bleed off problem unique to the original 97 pumps I use a 3 second delay on mine, personally,

SES= Service Engine Soon = check engine light= MIL=malfunction indicator lamp

There are other codes besides the Pxxx (powertrain) codes; there are
Bxxx (body codes)
Cxxx (chassis codes)
Uxxx (undefined codes)

I looked through the generic codes and found all kinds of B codes related to SRS and all kinds of C codes related to ABS but that doesn't mean Saturn used them and if they did your tool should be pulling them.

Your tool should have a MIL (see above) indicator status readout -- does it match the light actually being on?

Also -- are we talking about the SES light and not the one that says "Service" with a wrench??

Old 08-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Well now I am just learning something new. As I said this is the first Saturn I have owned and of course it is used so I do not have all the books and literature that goes along with say a new car. SO I was unaware that this make of automobile has two indicator lights for issues pertaining to the automobile. The one poster says that there are two, one that is considered the MIL or SES light and one that is says SERVICE with a wrench symbol.

So now that I know that now I can say that the light that is illuminated is the one that says SERVICE with the wrench symbol.

So now that I know this, how does one reset this status light?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 PM

It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap. Check and make sure yours in on tight.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

the poster replies -- never have known what turns that one on

Pls call a dealer and post the results of what you find

Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM

@ derf. I remember reading in my owners manual that that one comes on when you have a more serious problem not related with emissions.

Quick Reply: SL2 Check Engine Light