General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Saturn Vue 2006 wont crank

Old 09-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned
Default Saturn Vue 2006 wont crank

2006 sat view 4 cyl manual transmission. Battery reads 13.6 volts, turn switch to start just hear relays clicking. Jumped with jumper cables from ground of battery to engine frame and from battery positive to starter wire between starter and solenoid,,, starter turns fast but does not engage flywheel.

Dis connected clutch safety switch and shorted out its cable with jumper cable,, still wont turn starter using key.

Does the starter require more than turning speed to engage the flywheel? Or is this a normal starter that engages flywheel when correct rpms are reached?

What do you think?

Old 09-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

As to the starter behavior I would say the bendix is shot or hung up and the starter is spinning without extending and engaging the flywheel. Put something like a breaker bar up against the starter casing and thunk it a few times (NOT while trying to crank), then try cranking.

As to the clicking noise -- are you sure it is from relays? They should pretty much all be in the underhood junction block (UHJB).

As to the battery, 13.6 V at rest, yes?
What is the Battery V when the starter is spinning?

As to the seeming non-functional starter solenoid --assuming this one is external to the starter --- that should really be the only relay/solenoid clicking if it is defective.

What is the status of the security system and security light?

Old 09-05-2015, 08:46 PM

I agree with derf. If you can hear the starter actually spinning but not engaging the flywheel, then the frigging bendix (starter drive) is shot. Fortunately, you can purchase one at your local parts store without having to buy a complete starter. They're not that difficult to replace, either. Take that battery and have it load tested too. The voltage reading at rest is pretty high.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

The starter solenoid engages the bendix as well as supplying power to the starter motor. If you put battery power to the large wire going into the starter motor the starter motor will spin but the bendix will not engage the flywheel. Put battery power to the small wire on the solenoid, this will engage the solenoid and the starter motor. If the starter does not work properly when you jump the small wire the solenoid is bad. If the starter works properly when you jump the small wire your problem is probably the relay in the fuse box or wiring.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the correction, Andy.

I HATE giving out wrong guidance. My apologies.
________
Well, I've just learned something.