General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

saturn sl2 won’t start......

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 PM

Ok, I'm gonna start off saying that this isn't actually my car, I'm just trying to help out a co-worker to get her car running.
It all started when her step dad came and was trying to start the car, I guess he kept cranking on it as she smelled something. He said it was the starter trying to turn over the motor so she didn't think anything of it. Now her car won't crank at all even having a battery charger on it charging. Now my first guess was the starter, but usually when a starter goes it still clicks when you try to turn it over, this does nothing. when you turn the key all the lights and the radio come on, but doesn't crank at all. I looked under the hood and the wires coming from the fuse box, there are 3 brown wires (if i recall correctly) that seem to be slit open and have some corrosion on them. I was wondering what these wires are and if they could be the cause of the problem. Thank you for any responses as I'm sure she'll be very grateful. Thanks again everyone.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM

Unless the three slit wires are directly touching metal, or each other I'm not so sure that they are your problem. Seeing as how they are slit and corroded you should replace them. Have you checked all fuses? If you have a multimeter or test light check to see that there is juice getting to the starter. If there is juice going to the starter I'm gonna say in all likelihood that the starter is your problem.

try: http://www.type2.com/bartnik/starter.htm ; or a google search for info on how to test the starter

-S-Turn-

Edited by: S-Turn

Old 02-12-2007, 11:52 PM

what is the best way to test the starter, i.e. where are the wires I test, are they the ones right on the starter?? i couldn't really see the starter that well and its cold and crap here, so if its under the car i'm just gonna tell her to take it to the repair shop. i'm thinking its the starter too personally.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:07 AM

If it's a manual tranny like mine it's a bitch to get to.... and if the weather is anything like it is here (0 degrees) I don't blame you for taking it to a shop.