General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

removing master cylinder

Old 10-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Default removing master cylinder

Okay Guys, I got the new valve body for my SC2 this afternoon around 2:30. Went out and started removing everything I THOUGHT I had to remove in order to replace it. Got it all loose and I'll be damned! The circled piece attached to my master cylinder is in the frigging way! I don't have enough clearance to lift the pan high enough to get it off so I can access the valve body. Now this is an SC2 with four lug wheels and I was told that if a Saturn has 4 lugs, it's non ABS, 5 lugs means ABS. If this isn't an abs pump, then what the hell is it? Anyway, I'm not sure how to get it out of the way in order to replace my valve body. Can anyone help me? The Haynes manual is absolutely useless. All is says is that "special tools will be needed and is beyond the scope of your average backyard mechanic". I'm not afraid of taking anything apart. It's putting it back together without damaging it that has me concerned. I've heard that once you open an ABS pump, it can't be bled properly and would have to be replaced. Can any of you help me or am I just screwed? I circled the damned thing that's in the way. You can see the valve body pan cover underneath it. No matter how I try to turn or twist it, it just won't clear.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Banned

HHmmmmmmmmmmmmm .......

If someone was to hold a gun to my head, I'd have to admit, that looks like ABS equipment to me too. My book identifies that as the motor pack assembly, the modulator assembly and the two solenoid valves topping it off.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 AM

ALL Saturn S-Cars and ION's have FOUR (4) lug wheels abs or not. What you see is ABS.

ION Redline has 5 lug nuts abs or not.

Last edited by sw2cam; 10-11-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Definitely ABS on this car. I need to call my insurance company and tell them that I DO have ABS! LOL Anyway, I had to take the damned master cylinder completely loose in order to get the pan off the valve body. Rest was easy. Now I'm trying to find a frigging inch pound torque wrench. Since I have to take the wife to Nashville tomorrow, I'm just going to stop by Harbor Freight and buy one. That's the only thing holding me up for now along with not being able to find a gasket. None of the local parts houses even show one. This car must be an exceptionally rare one!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:59 PM

No big deal, guys. Just two nuts holding the MC to the booster. No rod to worry about adjusting or anything else in the way.