General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Programming Keyless entry remote?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Banned

Yes

Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by hoseppi
Will it work on 01-02 S series cars?
The answer is .......... NO

Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Banned

?? No ???

Kindly expound on that statement if you would ...

Old 02-12-2009, 06:20 AM

I did notice that the terminals (OBD Port)are arranged differently on the newer models ( ''00 - ''02 ). You can''t run a jumper from 4 to 8. Howie

Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 AM

NO one must use a TECH II ........... to set or reset remotes 2000 and newer SATURNS

Old 09-23-2023, 05:46 AM

I know it has been some time since this thread was done but I thought I'd try for a solution here...... I have a 1998 SC2. I was trying to sync a second remote. I shorted pin 4 and 8. The car chirped, I pressed the lock/unlock button..... it chirped..... I pulled at the paperclip..... THEN the buttons for lock/unlock/trunk would not work.......BUT it cleared the original remote so it would not work for several time I re-did the procedure just in case I had done something wrong........... Nothing worked.....and even though I continue to hear the horn chip when I was cross 4 & 8 and when I press lock/unlock it won't work after I pull the the paperclip out.......what is going on????

Old 09-25-2023, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure the lock and unlock contacts inside the remote are clean?
Have you checked the fuse for the RKE system/?
Are you sure that the pins you are crossing are the corect ones?

Old 09-25-2023, 07:47 PM

I have used a brand new remote with a brand new battery. I pulled the fuse of the RKE system out and put my DVM on it and even when my DVM tested it fine, I still got a brand new fuse and tried it, and I've been working on cars for since I was a teen 45 years ago, I have 5 diagnostic scanners, and one of the scanners is just for OBD1...... Yes I am crossing the right pins.......................

Old 09-27-2023, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Not trying to insult, sir, but we all overlook simple stuff from time to time.

We also have many members that have loads of automotive mechanic experience but simply have not worked on the older Saturns. Or any Saturns for that matter.

Is the remote the correct frequency? Meaning does it have the same frequency as is listed on the back of an oem Saturn fob for that here range of s car?

The logical answer to this is (one of them) is that that the remote is not communicating with the rke.

Do you have another fob, an OEM Saturn fob, that does communicate with the vehicle? That would likely rule out the rke system itself.

Have you checked that the fob was not shipped with a battery in it that has a discharge eliminator installed, and therefore the battery is not actually in the circuit because that plastic battery terminal cover is keeping one terminal from touching the clip?

Have you checked to ensure the rke is securely plugged in and receiving power?

That's a lot of scanners.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:23 PM

I also have the original FOB and it was opening the doors and unlocking the trunk just last week as it has for years, and it is not doing anything now..... Even the new remotes are doing the same as the older remote...... when I cross the #4 and #8 pin the horn chirps, I press the lock/unlock button on these remotes (all of them...even the one that was working fine last week) and the horn chips BUT the lock/unlock on the doors do not cycle.....AND when I take the paperclip out of the #4 and #8 and I press the buttons it does nothing...................

Quick Reply: Programming Keyless entry remote?