General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

pop up light help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Default pop up light help

I am getting a saturn from a friend and he told me the only problem is the driver side light won't go down. He told me all I need is a motor but when I look on ebay I am getting some plastic thing that don't look like a motor to me lol I might be wrong it is that is what I need help with. Is this the right thing? If not what should I be looking for? Also how do I take out the old one and install a new one on? Here is the link for the one I found on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

Thank you for any help or advice you can give me!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:50 AM

Does that look like a motor .... is it described as a motor. Then it's not a motor.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Cool -- didn't know they made these.
Except, as the description indicates it is a lift gear for the motor -- not the motor itself.

You will need to determine if the motor itself is burned out (I believe these are hard to find), or if the motor still works (does it hum when you operate it with the switch) and the internal gear is just stripped out. If the gear is stripped, sounds like you'll need to remove the motor and disassemble to replace this gear.
Or one of the linkages may be broken damaged or missing.....
Sorry, no personal experience with removal or gear replacement
________
IF the motor sounds to be alive
, the (Assumed) worm gear which is driven by the motor may have come up too far and therefore the motor can no longer control the motion:
So Another thing you can try is to manually spin the external post that is used to manipulate the headlight position from up to down WITH THE HEADLAMP SWITCH IN THE DOWN POSITION. It's just to the left of the light itself (standing in front of the car) and has a rubber boot on the top, which when removed has flats for you to grip.

Turn it only until the headlight is all the way down. If you overtighten you risk damage. Then try the switch to pop up the headlights.

I've had this happen once or twice on my 95 SC2 over the years and figured the above out by trial and error.