General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Dash/Indicator Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:32 PM

I'm a girl and I'm not that familiar with cars, so this may sound stupid but...As of last Weds, I'm getting an indicator light that looks like a square with an arrow pointing down. inside the square, it looks like there are little waves in it. I can't find my manual (I'm moving, so stuff is everywhere), and I want to know what it is and what I need to do to make it go away.The light stays on for only a moment when I first start the car, and doesn't come on at any other time. Today when I was driving home from work, the car started acting weird (kept rapidly jumping from 1K to 2K rpm while going steady 30 mph). It's -30 wind chill, so I'd like to get this checked out before I'm forced to walk!FYI, I have a 2002 SL2 with 61k (bought used [55k] march 07), and the previous (ditzy) owner didn't do any preventative maintenance on the car.
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 PM

#19 in the illustration below? If so, check your coolant level. If the level checks out, then you have a faulty or dirty coolant level sensor, very common.

You need to remove the coolant resevoir and chean it out with dish washing soap. If you do this early enough, it will solve your proble. If not, you have to replace the tank. The sensor isn't replacable.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 PM

YES! That's it! Thank you SO much! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]After reading some of the forums, I had a hunch that's what it was, but no one mentioned what the light looked like. If I have to add more coolant, can I just add it to the reservoir only, or do I need to add it to the radiator as well? (and is there a preferred brand for saturns, or it doesn't matter)If I do have to remove the reservoir to clean it, how would I go about doing so?
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-08-2008, 08:37 PM

Just put the coolant in the reservoir. Doesnt matter the brand as long as you dilute it with water 50/50 and make sure match the color (green with green and red with red.)
Why do you need to clean the reservoir? You shouldnt have to unless you put mud in there.

-JOE

Old 03-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by joesfiero
Why do you need to clean the reservoir? You shouldnt have to unless you put mud in there.

-JOE
Because crud in the reservoir is what usually causes the low coolant light to illuminate. Not actually having low coolant. Cleaning it out at the first sign of trouble you have a better chance of correcting the problem rather than having to replace the entire reservoir later on.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:08 PM

thanks again, everyone! :-)< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Another female here who knows nothing about cars. Can you give step by step instructions on remove the reservoir? I have a 500 mile trip to make tomorrow can I wait until I get back to do this? Safe to drive it?
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-28-2008, 10:45 AM

There is a hose with a spring loaded hose clamp on the bottom right of the reservior. Using channel locks or large pliers to compress and slide the hose clamp down a few inches. Remove the hose (coolant will spill out)and remove the deairation line at the top of the reservoir. Then remove the two 10mm bolts attaching the reservoir to the fram and lift it up. Unplug the electrical connector and remove the reservoir from the car.

As long as you arean't really low on coolant and its just a dirty sensor, you can drive it as long as you want.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:51 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Thank you so much Mike! I can definetly take care of it when I get home then. It has a full tank and is not running hot at all. I really appreciate your help!!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 AM

No problem, Glad I could help.